What's new

LD Fans: RF Demod Issues... (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hey, dudes! I need some advice WRT my RF demod box. Model is the B&K DT-1, which also serves as a digital switch-box (one co-ax input, one Toslink input, in addition to to the RF input). I'm completely green as far as these units go, as you may surmise. Here's the problem: the RF box has no on/off (power) switch, and I'm less than enthused with the prospect of leaving it on all the time as it tends to get a little warm (surely not as hot as a big-box receiver, but still on the warm side). Normally, I'd just plug it into the back of my receiver, but the demod's power cord is a three-pronged (grounded) affair; it obviously won't fit in the double-blade recepticle of my receiver. I currently have it plugged into my grounded power-bar, and I could simply use the power-bar's switch as the enire system's main on/off, but that would require me to re-program my VCR every single time I use it, and that ain't gonna happen. I have no wall outlets available, short of the use of an extension cord, and even then, I'm not enamoured of the idea of bending over and hitting a power-bar switch every time I want to watch TV, listen to music, watch a disc, etc. My ultimate goal is to have the demod box power up whenever the receiver is on, and not before. Anybody got any brilliant ideas? Is this where the use of "cheater" plugs comes into play? Can someone explain the nature of these to me? Thanks for all your help, fellas. Cheers!
DS.
P.S. I also need some ideas regarding the most vicious, agressive 5.1 LD soundtracks you might suggest. I discuss it in
this thread. Thanks again!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd try the cheater plug. Most aggressive AC-3 discs: STIR WARZ PM, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, and BLADE are nice. You're gonna find out that LD PCM rocks too. Best wishes!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Thanks Rachael, but I need to have further info on the cheater plug. What does it look like, what does it do, where do I get one, are there safety concerns involved? As you can see, I'm startin' from scratch. By the way, do most RF demod units not have power switches, or is my B&K some sort of freak unit? Thanks gang, and cheers!

DS.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some RF Demod I've seen have power switches. The Pioneer unit did, the Lexicon unit doens't, the Sony does, the Yamaha does, I can't remember what the nice Nackamichi unit.

Cheater plugs are available for less than a dollar at Lowes, Rat Shack, or just about any hardware store and basically it has a 3 prong female plug to plug your RF unit into and a 2 prong male plug to go wherever you like.
You are eliminating the grounding plug, so there are some issues with safety though many people do this without problems. I think if you do a forum search for Ground Loop, Ground lift, cheater plug on the forum you are likely to find quite few threads.

People frequently do this to get rid of a hum from cable TV, preamp/amp combinations which drove me crazy trying to get rid of the humming, etc.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Would there be any problem just leaving the demod on all the time and be done with it? As I said, it's only gets a little warm, and it has about 2" inches clearance above it and is open on all sides. Would this shorten the life of the box? Opinions? Cheers!

DS.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Yes its not a good idea to leave the demod unit running all the time. I would go with the cheater plug method myself. The Event Horizon AC3 laser spurs the most death threats from my neighbors when I watch it. Add it to your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks