What's new

Law & Order - Jan 12 (1 Viewer)

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
Serena's sexuality was strongly suggested earlier this season and I think her reaction at the end of the show made perfect sense (as well as being well acted). Think about it. You're an unobviously gay person in a high pressure, high profile job. It doesn't matter what kind of speech your boss gives you about why you're being fired, there is always that lurking fear that you might be singled out for who you are. It was as if she was only partially registering what he was saying. Most L&O characters say "Well, gotta go!" and shuffle off while this departure was dramatic, perfectly plausible and well played.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
It was shock value...pure and simple. I've watched L&O from day one and obvioulsy they had to figure out a way to dump the character that hasn't been done. So far we've had them quit, get killed, go into the witness protection etc. Serena was never "an advocate" she always seemed to want an eye for eye to me. That was written into this episode for conflict. Oh well saw the preview for next week. New ADA looks pretty cute. BTW anyone know why ROHM left the show?

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Could you elaborate, as it still came out of left field to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do not remember her sexuality brought up. If it had, it was brief enough that the mention again in the last 12 seconds of the show was either poor screenwriting or an attempt to liven up what looked like a feeble exiting of a regular cast member.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I agree that it's natural to ask the question as a reflex. But she shouldn't expect him to answer yes, even if that was the case.

As far as any suggestion she was a lesbian, there was the episode where the legal issue was spousal privilege for gay marriages. Jack was being pragmatic: since the marriages were not clearly legal as far as the state was concerned, there was no privilege, and he could use some info at trial. She was in favor of the privilege -- one of the points of conflict the writers clearly used to get her fired eventually -- but that doesn't necessarily mean she was gay. Maybe David is thinking of something else.

Also, given Branch's lack of reaction to the "revelation", it seems that he knew her orientation.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty clear in the episode that Claire died that she and Jack were seeing each other on the QT. Even Lenny Brisco picked up on it just before Claire took him on that fateful ride. I think of all the female ADA's we've seen, Claire was the only one Jack dated. Jamie, I think, was the one that had told Jack that she wasn't going to be one of his playthings (I'm paraphrasing) and I don't think he was Angie Harmon's character's type (if any character on L&O was gay I would have bet on her).

I liked Elisabeth Rohm on Angel and she proved she could act, but her character was poorly written on L&O. I don't fault her. (Is she gay in real life?)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it's kind of amusing that people are making a big deal of it seemingly coming out of left field - I kind of figured that was half the point of the scene, that you wouldn't/couldn't know just from seeing her at work. I got the impression that it was possible Branch wasn't aware of her orientation, although he was likely more taken aback because he didn't realize just how little she felt he respected her by that point.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Last I heard, Elisabeth Rohm is dating Dan Abrams, who has a show on MSNBC. Of course, I guess that still doesn't prove anything either :)

In that same vein, while it might be clear from the way they're acting (and again, the actors agreed to play it that way), I'm talking about proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Jack and Claire were together, some line or action in the script. But who knows, maybe I missed it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Adam Schiff had a line at the end of some husband-wife murder case, or one where a spouse turned out to be a vicious killer and the other had no clue. Something like, "How many of us really know the person we're sleeping with?" He's on his way out the door with his back to Jack and Claire, who share a very significant look.

I'm also reasonably sure that there's a line in one of the later seasons, during one of Jack's frequent trips to the edge of the ethical envelope, where his relationship with Claire is brought up in a way that leaves no doubt.

Regards,

Joe

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm positive that it was verbally confirmed that Jack and Clair did sleep together. It was the episode in which Jack was called before a special prosecutor.

It was two-part crossover episode with Homicide. It is titled Sideshow and it aired during season 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks