What's new

Laura Fox Film Noir not for sale in Canada!? (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I contacted my favourite DVD e-tailer DVDSoon.com regarding the release of Laura as part of the Fox Film Noir collection. They replied saying it is not listed on their website because the DVD is not going to be released in Canada, only the U.S. I am just wondering if someone else has heard this from bricks and mortar Canadian stores? It seems rather strange, is it a licensing issue? But I thought that all of North America would come under a single license.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Well DVDSoon is wrong. My distributor lists it, so on March 15, Laura will be available.

:)

Christian

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing no, as I suspect there will be only be an English language track on the DVD. However, if there is a French language track, then *maybe* we'll get bilingual packaging. That's the golden rule - remember that :) No French tracks = No Bilingual packaging.

Christian

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I know Future Shop has Laura listed on their website however, Amazon.ca does not.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
The brick and mortar stores are offering LAURA for sale in March in Canada while Amazon.CA currently isn't. In reply to my E-mail query to them they stated that I should instead import it myself from the US from Amazon.Com if I wanted it, whereas TO BE OR NOT TO BE will only be available as an import release in Canada and Amazon.Ca is offering it on their website.
The ways and vagaries of these online stores are strange indeed!

At one point Laura had been replaced with House of Bamboo for wave 1 of Fox's film noir series. Laura was supposed to be released some time in June in wave 2. I also had heard (this is all from Barry Maxwell at the Bits) that Laura had been put back in wave 1. I'm not sure if Laura or House of Bamboo is coming in wave 1 but what I do know is that you can preorder House of Bamboo from most retailers and not Laura. Based on that we can assume that House of Bamboo is coming in March and not Laura. Either way, looking forward to wave 1 next month.

After another quick check with other threads it seems I don't know what I was talking about. It does seem that Laura and House of Bamboo are both being released in March.

Greg

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Ditto with the "Classic Comedies" boxset from Warner... Nowhere to be found on my favorites canadian retailers...

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This is annoying, I can't understand why distributors differentiate between Canada and the U.S. I always assumed that the whole of North America was considered a single territory for distribution reasons so I don't understand why these titles are missing.

I hope this isn't the case with the upcoming Controversial Classics and James Dean sets from Warner.

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
the errol flynn boxset due out in april is also under import at amazon.ca.can anyone actually tell me of any canadian e-tailer showing the errol flynn boxset?ditto classic comedies,classic musicals broadway to hollywood,boxsets.

Rosscoe M

Grip
If you live in Vancouver , CNL warehouse has all three Fox noirs (Laura, Northside, Panic) advertised for $12.99 avail. March 15....I'm so THERE!!!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Just came back from New York. I was picking some dvd titles at the Times Square's Virgin Megastore and guess what: Right there standing on the shelf was the Fox Noir dvd for Laura. Of course I bought it. It takes the number 1 of the series and it comes with a insert that lists the following titles for wave 2, in june: House of Bamboo, Nightmare Alley and Kiss of Death!!!!!!
So folks, it's for real, Laura is finally released on dvd.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
So it looks as though there have been more changes to the Fox lineup (depending on when these inserts were printed). If Rafael's insert is the most up-to-date, it would appear The Street With No Name has been replaced with Kiss Of Death. The most current info up until Rafael's post looked like this:

Wave 2

House of Bamboo (1955) - Fox Noir Line Wave 2 - June 7th
Nightmare Alley (1947) - Fox Noir Line Wave 2 - June 7th
The Street With No Name (1948) - Fox Noir Line Wave 2 - June 7th

Wave 3

The Dark Corner (1946) - Fox Noir Line Wave 3 - Sept. 6th
Hangover Square (1945) - Fox Noir Line Wave 3 - Sept. 6th
The Lodger (1944) - Fox Noir Line Wave 3 - Sept. 6th

I'll be spending the evening with numbers 2 & 3 of the series, Call Northside 777 and Panic In The Streets and I can't wait.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, Laura, Call Northside 777 and Panic in the Streets have an official street date of 2/22. There are audio tracks in French, so one would assume an eventual release in Canada, however, the covers (so far) are not bi-lingual.

Wave two includes Nightmare Alley, Kiss of Death and House of Bamboo. I've seen the latter and it is utterly amazing. Panoramic shots of Tokyo and environs c. 1955. Unmatched.

Amazon has the first wave and House of Bamboo may be pre-ordered.

Studio Classics' first 2005 group includes Return to Peyton Place, Leave Her to Heaven and A Letter to Three Wives, street date also 2/22. The next 3 will be The Best of Everything, Anna and the King of Siam and The Razor's Edge.

Some of these titles have been available in Region 2 for some time, but without the special features and commentaries.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Herb,
There is so much confusion with retailers on what Fox titles are being released because I just talked to Lasersedge on Friday and they just added "House of Bamboo" to their preorder list for 3/15/05. By the way, I just got through watching "Leave Her to Heaven" dvd and the presentation is fantastic.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks