Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider UHD Review
TombRaider_feat-1024x576.jpg

Paramount is releasing their two entries on 4K UHD Blu-ray. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, from 2001, benefits from a spiffy new 4K transfer.

[review]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"The bad news is that it appears to be encoded from the same 1080p master source as on the original Blu-ray release."

That was my guess as well - and a weird choice by Paramount since they're releasing the BD individually, too.

Why generate a new transfer and stick the BD with the same crummy old one? Does Paramount really think there are lots of "Tomb Raider" fans who'll buy 4K players just to watch that movie?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
"The bad news is that it appears to be encoded from the same 1080p master source as on the original Blu-ray release."

That was my guess as well - and a weird choice by Paramount since they're releasing the BD individually, too.

Why generate a new transfer and stick the BD with the same crummy old one? Does Paramount really think there are lots of "Tomb Raider" fans who'll buy 4K players just to watch that movie?

The release has everything to do with the new film. A chance to see the Jolie ones again

I read that the UHd is a new transfer. The blu ray is an older one.

Makes sense

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
How does that make sense? They're screwing themselves and their customers by NOT including a new Blu-ray transfer with the 4K release.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The release has everything to do with the new film. A chance to see the Jolie ones again

I read that the UHd is a new transfer. The blu ray is an older one.

Makes sense

I have the new 4K and BD, so I know what both look like. I also understand these releases exist as a tie-in to the new movie.

It does NOT make sense that Paramount would update the Blu-ray in some ways - such as changing from lossy to lossless audio - but still use the old transfer for the new BD.

The 2 transfers are clearly different - why not use the new transfer for the 2018 BD?

Other than as a method to push fans to buy 4K players, this doesn't make any sense - people who would buy the 2018 BD won't bother because it's not much of an upgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks