What's new

Lang's METROPOLIS scheduled for February 18th! (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
(reposted)
I wrote to Kino asking if a soundtrack would ever be made available as I quite enjoyed the score very much. Unfortunately, there won't be one, however they did tell me this...
Kino won't be releasing a soundtrack for
METROPOLIS, though our home video release is planned for February 18, 2003.
Now I'm REALLY excited. I've seen it twice already and I'm ready to go see it again in Manhattan (Thank you again Phil! :)).
This is my favorite film, and watching it init's restored form has become a pilgramage, as well as a cinematic event.
-g

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They must be planning some more big screen exhibitions between now and then. It's well worth seeing on a big screen, but that's good news about the DVD.

M.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Michael,

Once the Film Forum engagement ended, not only did the Ziegfeld start to show it, but a Clearview Cinema in Montclair, N.J. - just a few miles from my home - began its engaement as well.

I've seen it twice, and I'm planning on going to the Ziefeld as well. Great stuff.

-g

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited - it opens at the Brattle Theater here in Cambridge/Boston for a two week run on Friday. Seeing as the Brattle's only a five-minute walk from my apartment... Yes, I'm excited.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic news. I've wanted a top notch version of this film for a very long time!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Bye bye bye bye to my Metropolis dvd I bought when I was young and ignorant. The one by Madacy :thumbsdown: Thank God, I can finally get a good version of this film.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited - it opens at the Brattle Theater here in Cambridge/Boston for a two week run on Friday.
Jason, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't been to the Brattle in about two years... ever since the restored "RAN" was showing anyway. (Even missed "Rear Window".)

I was wondering if you knew whether the Brattle updated it's sound system, seating, etc? I'd heard that it was going through a renovation...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it was closed down for a couple weeks a year ago. The sound is now stereo - not great, but not bad, and the seating is much improved: All new, comfortable, cupholders and everything.
(This is huge to me, personally, since I remember actually having my pants torn by a beat-up seat in the balcony during a Breakfast At Tiffany's/Roman Holiday double feature with a girl I rather liked. Not cool, especially since I chose my apartment in part to be close to the place.)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I chose my apartment in part to be close to the place.
A true fan! :)
Living in around Harvard Square is pretty damn nice, for whatever reason you choose! My wife and I live on Mass Ave next to Symphony Hall (Church Park).
We took my daughter to NYC a few weeks ago when she was here for her summer visit, but I couldn't talk either of them into seeing "METROPOLIS" at the film forum. I'm very glad to hear it'll be playing the Brattle... maybe I'll see you there, but unfortunately it won't be this weekend. I'm shooting for next Friday or Saturday night (and, spouse permitting, sticking around for the late-night showing of "Ziggy Stardust"!).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
sticking around for the late-night showing of "Ziggy Stardust"
Just remember, it's not a double-feature :frowning: Gotta love those Brattle double-features.
They actually had Metropolis at the Harvard Film Archive last November(?), with live piano accompaniment by Dr. Yakov Gubanov (and a whole Fritz Lang series earlier this year). I doubt I'll be able to spot what's new, though.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just saw the film at the local "art house" theater.

OH MAN THIS FILM IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

I cannot wait for the DVD. I almost want the
Madacy version just to do an A and B comparrision
of how much better it looks.

February 18 cannot come soon enough!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks