What's new

Kilborn leaving 'Late, Late Show' (1 Viewer)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Kilborn leaving 'Late, Late Show

Host decides not to renew

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- After five years in late night, Craig Kilborn is exiting as host of CBS' "The Late, Late Show With Craig Kilborn."

A CBS spokesman confirmed late Thursday that Kilborn had informed the network that he would not seek a renewal of his contract, which is believed to expire this year. The spokesman declined to elaborate.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

Talk Show Host Kilborn Quits Late-Night Gig

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late-night comedian Craig Kilborn is quitting his CBS talk show after a five-year stint in the time slot following "Late Show With David Letterman," Hollywood's trade papers reported on Friday....

Kilborn will leave his Los Angeles-based job by early next month, Daily Variety said. It speculated that CBS may try to lure Conan O'Brien, whose NBC show outdraws Kilborn's in the 12:35 a.m. slot. However, it noted that O'Brien's contract with the General Electric Co. -owned network does not expire until December 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5967457

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Hope he pops up somewhere. I've loved the show when I've been up late enough to see it. And I loved the old Daily Show.

Heck, loved him as a Sportcenter anchor.

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
Never got into watching either of his shows after he left ESPN..was annoying but maybe I didn't give him a fair chance. Loved him on Sportscenter though..

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
I think Kilborn got MORE than a fair chance, Shea. I hope no one takes this as a threadcrap, but I found Craig Kilborn to be nothing but a smarmy coattail-rider--using all three of his shows as springboards for greater and greater exposure. I won't miss him one iota, and if anyone starts to think they should, I have the Coke commercials run during last year's NCAA tournament on tape to thoroughly annoy you. I'm sorry, but there are just some guys out there who make you miss who came before them and like all the more those who came after them. Kilborn's shallower-than-shallow vocal style and obliviously arrogant personality struck that nerve in me, I guess.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Kilborn is nothing but an egotistical ass, and not at all funny. No one could seem less interested in the guests than him. I'm glad he's going.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I hope they don't change the guest line-up. I need my fix of supermodels and hot lesser-known actresses.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I always hated that ass...even on his SportsCenter days. Conan destroyed him and rightfully so. I read somewhere that Kilborn was so obsessed with beating Conan in the ratings that he went nuts when he actually won the ratings one night but failed to realize it was spillover from Dave's big return.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yay! Maybe they'll get someone talented to replace him.

Tom Snyder was funnier than Kilborn, and his show wasn't even supposed to be funny.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see that members of Craig Kilborn's Fan Club have populated this thread with their glowing opinions about him.;)

Crawdaddy

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I used to love Snyder, what is he doing theese days? I will not miss Craig, hell, I wont even notice he is gone. If I am up that late its Conan all the way.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, Comedy Central really suffered after Kilborn left The Daily Show.. :) Kilborn got four (or five) years at this gig. And it didn't get much better.. it was like the Jimmy Kimmel show except the host seemed bored and uninterested at times, and it had moments that made you want to go to sleep. Any wonder why Conan crushed this show in the ratings? One had inventive, spirited comedy, the other tried for the interview bit and couldn't get it done.

If I were CBS, I'd try to see if you can get a late-night series going, ala Kolchak: The Nightstalker and put it in it's place :)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
When O'Brian started out it was really rough going. But viewers were eventually rewarded as he found his way. You still get the sense he tries each and every night. Plus all those years in the background on The Simpsons and Saturday Night Live didn't hurt - it allowed for some of those talents to work with him now (Smigel/Triumph).

With Kilborn what you got on day one is what you get now, there's been no real growth or change in the show. (He may also be just too successful at seeming he didn't care.) I guess too in a way it's like the old Gertrude Stein comment about Oakland - "there's no there there."

Kimmel suffers from an acute inability to take charge of the stage and his show. He's a classic second banana type trying to be a lead. (That's why Andy Richter should have stayed with Conan too - he's also not strong as a lead, and his efforts since then have amply demonstrated that.)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i actually don't mind Kilborn. i only recently (last 3 years?) warmed up to the 12:30 shows and for a while i flipped between both, but Conan won out after a little while and i watch him almost exclusively.

now, if the choice was between Letterman and Kilborn, it'd be a tough decision. they both do comedy that's "funny because it's not" but Kilborn's is actually funny.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Chris, CBS tried late night original series in the late 80s, and replaced it with Letterman.

As for Kilborn, good riddance to bad rubbish. I didn't know anyone actually enjoyed his smug, unfunny "comedy."

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Well I guess I'm in the minority, seems to be a lot of Craig-haters around. I myself found it funny and I'll miss his show.

As Craig would say, "Check your negativity at the door."

Allen>B

Agent
When the show first started I got a feeling he would almost start getting to Ernie Kovaks type territory.

But nothing happened and all late night shows are sub-par comedy to me.

It's just very hard to push comedy every night.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
To me, the main difference that separates a truly hilarious, night-in and night-out, late-night host like Conan O'Brien and an unfunny stiff like Kilborn is ego. Craig Kilborn has ALWAYS had his ego on parade, no matter what the show--and apparently there are people out there who think that's funny. I'm not one of them.

Conan, on the other hand, is always willing to take chances and make fun of himself (almost TOO much, sometimes). He is much more accessible and easier to relate to than Kilborn, who, quite frankly, always comes off as different levels of jerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks