What's new

Kicker Solo-baric sub for Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Tom Wyatt

Grip
Hi all. First, I'd like to thank you for reading this. I am fairly new to home theater, but very handy, and I have a good general knowledge of tools, and the way things work.

I was into car audio about 5 years ago. I was sorting through some things in the basement, and found a slightly used Kicker Solobaric s12c woofer, in a .88 cu ft box. So, since I figure I have this woofer already, I may as well put it to use. I figure that this woofer has under 50 hrs of use, I got it shortly before I sold the car it was in, and I never installed the stuff in my new car after that. The box is way too small to have very good low end grunt though, so I think I'll replace this.

What type of box should I pair with this? after some research in this forum (namely the "car sub for HT use thread), I stumbled upon the WinISD program, and filled in some #s. Now, as far as I know (new to HT, used to be into car audio) the lower the sub is tuned for, the better. If I am off please correct me. I will be using this sub 70% movies, 30% music (jazz, rock mostly).

My first question is whether this project is even worth undertaking. If the sub won't sound good, then I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. The sub itself has the following specs:

Kicker Solo-baric S12C 4-Ohm

Qts .32
Vas 212.3 L
Fs 18.57 Hz
Re 3.37 Ohm
Le .61
Xmax 9 mm
Z 4.0 Ohm
Qms 9.34
Qes .34
SPL 88.28 dB
Pe 600 W
BL 12.24
Dia 12.01"
79.05 in^2

In the WinISD program, I tuned it for 16 Hz, and used a cubic box. My second question is whether I'd be better off going the cylindrical approach? Which is more size-efficient, and sounds better?

Either way, I need guidance as to how big a box to pair this with, and any other things I need to look out for in building this thing.

Thanks for all input.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Looks like Vb should be like 4 ft^3 to be able to use a 4" port of reasonable length. Try a tune to ~18 Hz would put a 4" port ~24".

Pete

eric

Agent
well, you really cant expect it to do as well as something that is home theater-specific, but you should have good results building to winisd's specs.

good luck,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks