What's new

Kick Ass Receiver Starts to Ship - Sherwood Newcastle News (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Randy,
I wouldn't take a Denon receiver at any price. Well, unless I got it really cheap and thought I could sell it for a profit. Then it might be worth it. Of course, if it were STRICTLY for a HT setup (no music listening at all) then I might take it if you gave it to me! :)
Brian
P.S. Got any Velo crap you wanna sell me?
------------------

Brandon B

Second Unit
Greg -
The 863 converts, so I assume the 963 does too? One site I saw said this was an additional feature of the 863 over the 963, which seems odd with the latter being the higher end unit.
Anyone have any comments on the remote vs. Denon's Atkis?
Also, where can these be bought on OR off line?
BB

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find the S-video converter on the RS site but here's one from Parts Express
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=2855787&St=7153&St2=45172166&St3=41475641&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15509&DID=7

Randy G

Second Unit
Brian,
Now why don't you tell us how you REALY feel about Denon....
As for "Velo crap", my 2 stacked HGS-10s are STILL!!! the most powerful bass package for its size...PERIOD. Yeah, it's a rip for the price, but when something better comes out at the same size, I'll jump on it. And for all you campers out there who DON'T believe Velo is crap, I can get ya about 30% off of list. If a water heater is what you're looking for, then check out SVS...best bass for price around.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Randy,
You know I'm just jerkin' yer chain! I actually don't think I've ever even heard any Velo subs. I wonder how the compare to the big Earthquakes. Those are very impressive!
Brian
------------------

Gregory S

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
How can I forget you! I regularly visit SMR and you are the hit building Emerald LE's - beat Mike to the punch. Yes, I know Ellen from SMR - has she listened to her Sapphires on the Newcastle stuff?
I can't comment too much on my Sapphires because all that I'm using them with for the moment is a 1970's vinatage Sansui 771 receiver - no surround, no nothing. I can say that compared to the speakers I replaced (Infinity SM 210 floor standers, the Sapphires are much smoother, of course without the bass hit of the Infinity's 10" woofers. Cymbals on the Sapphires sound real, while gritty sounding on the Infinity's.
Once I get a real system then I'll do a much better comparison. I do run them with an M&K MX-80 subwoofer, however I run the Sapphires full-range. Bass management - not in the 70's!
Thanks for the advice - have you heard the newer Denon's or are you just completely turned off to them?
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks