What's new

Kenwood 509 vs Denon AVR-601 (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Hi, I'm curious as to what the forum thinks is a better receiver, as I value your opinions much more then my own on the technical side of things :)
I currently have the following setup:
Paradigm
-Monitor 5's (front)
-Mini Monitors (rear)
-CC-370 (center)
-PW-2200 (sub)
And a Kenwood 509 amp. The thing is, I'm still paying it off, and can switch it for a Denon AVR-601 (shown here: http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR681LIT.pdf ) and not take a loss, just pay the extra $100 (Canadian, so about $60 US) for it, since it's a new item the store just got in stock, they usually didn't carry Denon. (Kenwood is $499, Denon is $599)
Which do you think is a better buy? It will be 60 music / 40 HT, in a 14X10 room with 9 foot ceilings.
Any input is MUCH appreciated.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
The Denon has S-Video and composite switching as well, so that isen't a "huge" issue. I really do like the 509, and it is cheaper, but I am curious as to what the forum thinks is a better buy, sound wise and pertaining to quality. But even if I stay with the 509, I will be happy, I do enjoy it, even if this setup is costing me an arm and a leg. (collage student and part time job)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks for the insight, it's much appriciated.
I think, option wise, they are pretty clsoe, with the Kenwood winning though, with more in / outputs, and DPL2... And saving a hundred bucks doesn't hurt either. I guess I'll just try to have them both home at the same time and test the sound, but from a tech standpoint, the Kenwood is looking better.
Thanks again for the help.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Scott,
After taking a look at the specs for each I would say if you won't miss the $100 then get the Denon. I really feel the overall quality favours Denon. Feature wise they are very similar. The 5 Channel Stereo of the Denon will make up for the DPLII of the Kenwood. Where the Denon exeeds the Kenwood is in the power rating. Though the Denon is rated at 60Wx5(20-20) its THD is 0.06% and the Kenwood is 100Wx5 20-20 THD 0.7% I think the Denon should easily keep up. What this also tells me is when you begin to drive the AMP(increase volume) of the Kenwood you could run into problems such as overheating/shutdown/clipping with the Kenwood. The Denon would have an easier time driving into lower Ohmn loads. Personally I have a Denon 1801 powering my Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-350 and PS1000. They compliment each other well.
Kevin

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Kevin: I'm actually really interested in DPL2, so that makes the Kenwood look a bit better in my eyes (and to my ears :) ) As for the THD, I'm a little over my head, since the Denon listed both 8 ohms and 6 ohms... I'm relatively new to understanding the measurement units and standards, I just know the basic's of judging by them, and even that is limited, so thanks to both you and Sean for helping explain it a bit in this situation.
As for the Kenwood having clipping problems, and overheating during loud extended sessions, I've used my fathers 409 he has for his bedroom HT setup, and I've had it going for hours without any problems cropping up. My amp will be on an open rack in a well ventilated area, so air flow won't be a problem.
As for upgrading, I do plan on it. This amp is all I can afford right now, I only work part time and have a lot of other expenses while going to school, so it's the best I can afford, but I went a bit further with my speakers so I could upgrade easier for now, when the time comes. Next on the list is a widescreen, hopefully by late spring, so I won't be looking at a better amp until late next fall at the earliest. Thanks for the help guys.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
quote:
----------------------------------------------------------
Believe me if Kenwood were to give specs on their RMS rating they would be a lot lower than 0.7%(which the human ear cannot perceive anyway)
----------------------------------------------------------
I took a look at Kenwoods website and their receivers. Not until you get to the lower end models do they advertise the specs over 20-20 into 8ohms. All the rest are at 1kHz into 6ohms. Since most receivers have a spec'd wattage into 8ohms it makes me wonder if Kenwood is trying to inflate their receivers wattage? Trying to make it look higher than it really is especially if your speakers are 8ohmn. It is my understanding that a speaker over the 20-20 range will fluctuate from from its stated Ohm rating(up to 16 down to possibly 2). My problem with the Kenwood 509 is when it dips down into the 6/4/2 Ohm range the THD will go up especially seeing that its already at 0.7% into 8ohms(20-20). You could also run into problems of overheating and clipping when driving the receivers AMP hard. I think a side by side comparison of say SPR DTS Beach scene at reference levels would be in order.
Now I am not saying that the Kenwood is a bad receiver in any way I am just worried about its spec's. As far as saving for something better down the road that can be tough. Something else always comes up. I really do think the $100 would be well worth the upgrade to the Denon. If not for the build quality of the Denon but for the resale value down the road. Just my 2cents
Kevin
[Edited last by Kevin. W on October 14, 2001 at 08:29 PM]

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Sean: New Important Note:
The amp is the new model AVR-1602, which includes DPL2, and different stats... I called the dealer earlier, and they are offering this one, for the same price (plus or minus a small amount, and they said they shopuld have some in stock very soon)
The link to it is here:
http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr16023.pdf

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Sean: Hopefully when I get everything organized properly, I will demo them both in my home. For now I'm "stuck" using the store demo area, and I imagine it's acoustics aren't as good as my room will be (it's wide open there, not a "room" for the setup's, expect for their "very" high end gear)
Since I'm making payments on this, I think I'll wait a month or so until I move into my new house with a semi-dedicated HT room, and make my final decision then. Thanks for the advice, you've been more then helpful.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Scott,
If it is the Denon 1602 it would definitely be worth the upgrade. I too am sorry for being biased towards Denon but I just don't think Kenwoods lower end receivers are in the same league as Denon.
Kevin

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
My apologies for bumping this thread once again.
Anyway, I am just curious as to one more receiver option. I am stuck between the Denon 1802 and the Marantz Sr4200 (or the 5200 if the price is dropped considerably)
The Denon 1802 costs $800, and the Marantz 4200 is $650, while the 5200 is $800 as well.
I may be able to have the dealer drop a bit, but I'm not going to work my purchase around what I could potentially save, I want to be realistic. Feature sets are both rather good, and though I've been checking stats and reviews for weeks, I am still having trouble deciding. Any personal experience, or experience at all with these models in particular would me much appreciated. Thanks
Scott
Edit (+typo's): I just heard back from the dealer, I can get the 5200 for around $800 Canadian, that includes both taxes, and Fedex priority shipping.... It certainly adds some incentive to get that amp.... Comments?
[Edited last by Scott Bourden on October 20, 2001 at 01:46 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks