What's new

Kakuto Chojin pulled (1 Viewer)

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
For offensive relious content, according to Gamespot anyway:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...910399,00.html

This was a game I was interested in until all the bad reviews came in. Figured I would pick it up real cheap at some point. The demo on the new OXM wasn't bad, not great but not horrible either. Best Buy marked it down to $40 last I saw. If you're at all interested, now is the time....

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Just what we need, another mediocre product developing a cult following because of its rarity. Controversial iconography aside, here is a splendid plan:

If you are a developer midway or nearly through with a project and realize that nothing short of a miracle will exhalt it, just hide a bunch of offensive unlockables (use your imagination)..

Then, once you confirm that the sales figures will not save your game, issue a kamikaze flurry of codes to the gaming public, and unveil the horrible, offensive content to the world. Watch your mediocre game pulled off the shelves, but a sharp spike in sales and an eternal life on Ebay.

Not a bad plan. Obviously I am not implying there is a conspiracy.

~j

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, how does the developer profit from the Ebay sales... And, for that matter, even if there's a sales spike, how does that help them? Once it's at the store, they've already been paid for it, and recalls are expensive.

EdR

Second Unit
So what's the offensive content?

EDIT: Ah, found it at gamepro.com :

According to a Microsoft Japan representative, the game was recalled "due to sensitive religious issues"—one of the background musical pieces uses passages from the Koran, the holy book of the Islamic religion. The Koran is believed by Muslims to contain the exact words God spoke to the prophet Muhammad, so using its passages in non-religious subtexts like video-game music is heavily frowned upon.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious (not looking for a fight): does anyone think this is really an issue?

And before anyone answers, would they have been as sensitive to the concerns of other 'special interest' groups?

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think they just took this as an excuse/opportunity to pull a very bad game off the shelves.

Just my opinion.

Glen

Damien

Supporting Actor
basically i agree with glen,
this is one of the worst games released this generation, and microsoft is trying to get some trust that they themselves can make good games, which will be important if xbox2/ps3 launch at the same time.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'll be keeping my eye on the market for these, could be the next Air Force Delta Storm. I can see my auction title now:

"NEW SEALED NIB!!! Kakuto Chojin Xbox, RARE OOP UNCENSORED!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!"

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Got my copy. I'm not even going to bother playing it, I'll just bide my time till it starts going for around $60-70 on eBay then dump it.

Richard Waller

Second Unit
Now why on Earth would they fake a recall? The PS2 has plenty of crappy games and you don't see them getting recalled.

This is just another case where a group of people got offended by a game and contacted people to get it off the market.

Needless to say, I'll be watching the second-hand market on this title as well. Ebayers will buy anything marked OOP. Just look what they're paying for the Halloween III DVD, previously available for under $10.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I just found three copies of this game at a pawn shop in town here. It's factory sealed still, gonna hold onto it for a month or so to see what it's going for.

James T

Screenwriter
I work at a video store and when I came in today, I was told to destroy the copy. The request from head office was to physcially destroy the disc. That was it. No explanation other than Microsoft will pay back later

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Is the potential of offending Muslim extremists (remember, I said extremists) reason to pull a game off the shelves? In today's world, you bet. I'm sure Bill Gates doesn't want a fatwa on his head.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Best Buy in my neighborhood has four brand new copies of Kakuto Chojin @ $40/each.
And at my Best Buy store, we received word today from corporate to pull the remaining copies of the game for an upcoming sendback.

In addition, the game had been one of the "rewards" games on Microsoft's retail training site (take the quizzes, get points, redeem the points for games, etc.) I believe it was on there as late as last week, but its gone now.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I've got four copies now. I'm willing to part with 2 of them if anyone wants them.
I'd let them go for like $50shipped.
Let me know through e-mail.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
It's funny that things like this happen.

The game got horrible ratings from most websites and gaming mags. It's got an average of 52% on gamerankings and people might pay $50 for it after it's pulled off the shelves.

I guess there is one born every minute.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks