What's new

JVC DVD players: 40 vs 50? (1 Viewer)

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I am looking to get a cheap DVD player for my "more casual" viewing room. I prefer progressive since the TV is HD (34" direct view Toshiba). I was looking at the JVC 50 on sale this past weekend at Best Buy for $108, but when I was in Sam's Club I saw that they had the 40 for $78! I tried my best to compare stats both on the box and at JVC's web site to see what the differences are between the two. As best I can tell, the 50 adds WMA capability (which I don't care about), and a "cool blue" light over the disc tray which I think I would actually find distracting. Is there something else, and what do people think of these as a cheap second DVD player.

SMK

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The picture on the 40 is sort of poor, although I guess in line with the price. The progressive scan is simply awful compared to my Pionner's Purecinema2 line doubler. The JVC is set to output interlaced and I let the TV handle the upconversion. Even so, the JVC exhibits inexcusable judder on horizontal pans and some sources cause all sorts of tearing.

It's probably fine for casual viewing on smaller non-HD sets and discs start up rather quickly. But if you have any sort of discerning eye, it will drive you insane.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I think he is saying that since his TV's line doubler is so good that he gets a better picture with the DVD player set to interlaced rather than progressive. Then the TV does the upconversion.

SMK

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You got it Steve. In fact, the line doublers in many HD sets easily outperform the line doublers in cheap progressive scan players.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Be prepared for break down,jvc is the worst dvd player I ever owned,all three of them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Due to the frustration in not being able to play DVD-R's in the JVC40 due to the player locking up, it occurred to me that the problem might be that the 40 was incapable of streaming the video fast enough since DVD-R's have slower read speeds. Due to the 50's ability to play wmv files, I took a shot that the 50 would have more buffer to handle it.

And it worked. My DVD-R's play flawlessly.

I also noticed that, although it seems that the 50 doesn't have much more in features than the 40 (wmv files and -- ooh -- glowing blue panel), it is a better player. The judder is not nearly as bad and the picture doesn't tear like the 40 did. The progressive scan is better, but it still doesn't match my TV's line doubler. The prog scan picture is washed out, which is by itself a reason to disable it.

If you haven't already made your purchase, I'd definitely say that the 50 is totally worth the extra $30.

Now I have a spare 40 and I essentially spent $230 for a DVD player. I'm still more happy than pissed. At least I don't have a bunch of coasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks