What's new

JVC DVD Player problems(XVS62) (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I have had this DVD player since they came out about 2 yrs ago and have had no trouble with it. But now any movie I play freezes up about an hour into it..... ALso, the player is having an unusually long read time.....

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
By "read time" are you saying that it is taking longer now to cycle through menu selections on a disc?

Also, my usual questions: How long do you run the machine during a typical session and how much is it used? Is it kept clean and dust-free? Are you feeding it clean, scratch-free discs? (Dust in the laser assembly causes read errors.)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
OK, read time I mean loading disc into tray, and then it coming up to the first menu. And I have a cleaning disc which I used already. Most of the time I don't even get a full flick in before it freezes. My wife put a movie in this morning and it froze up after an hour. This was with brand new Two Towers DVD.... It also happened Monday when she watched her new Chicago DVD.....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
William, did you used to run several films back to back during the machine's prime? The things run hot and are not the most rugged devices around. JB

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like it has problems with layer changing since you said "about an hour into movies". Dvds are usually single-sided with two layers and the laser has to change focus onto the top layer to continue with movie.

Sounds like replacement if cleaning the lens doesn't work. Do music CDs play all the way through without any problems? If so cleaning may not help.

Do you or anyone else smoke a lot in the house? If so you may have to take a q-tip dipped in only denatured alcohol (Ace Hardware), not rubbing alcohol since that has other stuff mixed in it, and very lightly clean the lens on pickup to remove any tar build-up. There may be some pet hair/lint inside also.

Hope it helps ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks