What's new

Just got my first STB (Samsung SIR-T150), but ... (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I just picked up a Samsung SIR-T150 for my Mits 55819 this weekend. After a few tries, got an antenna that seems to work just fine (Silver Sensor).

HDTV looks wonderful!!

I wanted to dip my toes in the HDTV waters for as little $$$ as possible. The SIR-T150 was an open box special with no remote or manual.

My question now is this. Viewing Ebay prices, I could pick up a Samsung SIR-T351 for about the same price as what I paid for the T150. I can return the T150 any time in the next 28 days. Seeing that it will cost me at least $30-50 to find a remote, I am strongly considering this.

What features does the T351 have over the T150? Is there a better receiver that I could pick up for about $250 or less? I'm open to used or Ebay items.

Thanks!

Bruce

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend the newer LG HD STB models - they have more features than the Samsungs and are more reliable. The Samsung STBs have problems with some channels encoding schemes. The newer LG models support both OTA HD (8VSB) and also unencrypted cable HD (QAM) format. I have used a Samsung SIR-T150 for a couple years and plan on upgrading to a new LG OTA HD PVR soon - HD tuner plus recording hard drive combo.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Where did you find a place that sells a remote for the SIR-T150 for $30-$50? I have one w/out a remote and Samsung quoted me $78 + s/h for a replacement. I'd pay $30 for a remote.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

I was working on the assumption I could find one for about that price at www.replacementremote.com. I just checked there and couldn't find one. You are correct about the Samsung price. This further reinforces my desire to bring back the T150 and pick up a T351 on Ebay.

Bruce

Eric Hahn

Agent
check out cc last time I was in there, thay had the zenith hdv420 for less than 3 bills new, find a open box, and it should be less than 2,

just another option.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I just won an auction on ebay for a remote for an SIR-T165 for a grand total of $5.51, I'm hoping it will work with the SIR-T150. If so, its better than $78.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
It won't. The SIR-T150's remote is unique it uses a joystick like menu interface, the later models changed the remote interface.

Mike_P

Agent
Don,

Could you elaborate on the problems with the Samsung units? I have a SIR-T351, and the digital sound drops out when it is set to DD. If I set it to PCM, it's ok. The analog sound is also ok. I am feeding into a Yamaha RX-V995, and I thought maybe it was losing the signal and redetecting DD, DPL, or DTS. The Yamaha only has AUTO mode for DD, you can't set it directly to DD.

I thought the 351 was a good deal because it has tons of outputs, including DVI.

Mike P

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I thought I'd update my situation. The remote I purchased arrived this morning. Its the remote for the SIR-T165 and I have the remoteless SIR-T150.

Don is right about the menu interface. I can bring up the menu with the remote but I'm stuck there. However, the remote does work for basic remote commands. I can power up the STB, change channels up and down, and choose individual numbers for channel input. So for a savings of $73, I can now power up and change channels from the comfort of my couch. For the last seven months I felt like I was living in the 60's. I had to actually get up out of my seat to change the channel (while watching HD) and adjust the antenna now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks