Just got Dish - very grainy..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DmitriP, Apr 21, 2002.

1. DmitriP

DmitriP Extra

I've had my 42" Toshiba HDTV WS for a couple months now using broadcast(!), mostly for DVD movies.

Two days ago I took the plunge and signed up with dish.

First thing I noticed is that the mpeg decompression is pretty bad. Somewhere inbetween mpeg1 and mpeg2. I see artifacting around hard lines words, and in action scenes. My friend sat down and noticed immediately.

The only way to get rid of this is to turn sharpness down to 5 (default is 50) which makes for a soft picture.

Switching back to regular airwaves, the picture is cleaner. Do all sat providers look this bad on high end TVs, or just Dish network? Am I stuck with regular fuzzy broadcasts and a couple HDTV stations?

Thanks,

-Dmitri

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

If your sharpness is at default level it's probably WAY too high. Softer picture probably means more accurate picture. Use Avia or Video Essentials to calibrate your TV.

Having said all that, satelite sucks because they've been forced to jam 10 pounds of, er, stuff, into a 5 pound bag by having to transmit ALL the 'local' stations for all major U.S. markets from the same limited satelite bandwidth, which meant they had to compress everything even more.

If you can, try over the air (FREE - FREE - FREE) HDTV broadcasts with a tuner - it's breathtaking, and free. Did I say FREE?

4. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

6. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

You definitely need to calibrate your set; you most likely need to reduce the brightness and contrast also, and adjust to a darker and much better looking picture.

7. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Ya OTA local HD is the best; even better than HBO HD directv for me here south of Boston.

8. DmitriP

DmitriP Extra

I've owned video essential for about 5 years now. [​IMG]
    The only way to get rid of the artifacts is to turn the sharpness down to 10, which results in a very soft, blurry looking picture.
    I wish I could change cable, but I'm locked into dish because of where I live. I also get totally sucky broadcast because of where I live, so HDTV broadcast is out. Time to move!
    I switched back to regular cable and it's now a bit better. I can have a sharper picture without as much noise. Solids have a tiny bit more grain, but worth the tradeoff.
    Thanks everyone for the replies!
    -Dmitri

9. Michael St. Clair

Your experience is typical. Unless your analog cable carrier sucks, it will be the best broadcast picture quality.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    You think thats bad???
    I can clearly see Compression Artifacts on DVDS on my TV (14 yr old Mitsubishi 37" DirectView)

11. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit