What's new

Just bought an XBOX and LOVE IT! Couple of questions though. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just bought an XBOX yesterday and wanted to share my joy. I am kicking myself for not buying it sooner. I mean I have a 64 inch hdtv and a 7.1 setup and I have been playing PS2 games on it for 3 years??? Last night I was up till 1:30am playing NFL2K5 in all of its progressive scan Dolby Digital glory. I love it. And I got a wireless remote to go with it. Love it! I do have a couple of questions. In the setup screen do I set both 1080i and 480P?
And when I put in the NFL2K5 my screen gets all scrambled and I have to turn my tv off then back on for it to go away. Whats that all about?

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Does the game support 720p. If it does, try turning on 720p in the Xbox dashboard.

Good luck!

Brion

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Are you refering to the Xbox dashboard? If so then, yes, you check both 1080i and 480p as formats your display will accept. You didn't specify the type of TV but at that size I would assume a rear projection set. I'll also assume that it does not support 720p (few sets do). So it is irrelevant if the game is coded in 720p or not as your set won't know what to do with the signal. The Xbox will instead upsample to 1080i (I believe, as opposed to downsampling to 480p). Hopefully that makes sense.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Enable all of the resolutions that your TV supports. The XBox will then default to the "highest" resolution that both the game and YOUR TV supports. So if you enable both 480p and 1080i but not 720p, then the XBox will display all 480p games at that resolution, and the very few 1080i games at 1080i.

If you enable 720p, the XBox will try to play all games with 720p at that native resolution. However if your TV does not support 720p all you will get is garble. I can confirm this because my RPTV does not support 720p and Soul Caliber at 720p is all garbled, but my bedroom tube set does support 720p and will display Soul Caliber at that resolution. Don't own NFL 2K5 so I can't help you out with that game.

Good luck!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. My tv supports 480p and 1080i, does not support 720p. So I set it up right the first time. I am still confused about why my tv scrambles. It doesn't stay scrambled, all I have to do is turn it off then back on and everything is fine. Actually what I do now is turn on the XBOX and put the game in before I turn on the tv.
I have been playing this thing like crazy, it may cause a divorce. :)

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
You might try holding in the 2 trigger buttons when you start the xbox without a game. I believe an online update a little while ago now allows you to activate a progressive xbox dashboard. Don't know if this will help or not. Just an idea to try

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks