What's new

Julius Schwartz - RIP (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And science fiction; he bought Ray Bradbury's first story and was an agent for sf authors as well. And he still came in to work at DC once a week, at least as of a few years ago.

Everyone knows Stan Lee, but his counterpart at DC seems to be less well known.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
This is very sad indeed. I've spoken to Mr. Schwartz a few times over the years at comic conventions, and as Patrick decribed him, he truly was a giant in the field. Even though this in no way could be thought of as an untimely or tragic death (based on how he looked tha last time I saw him), it is still most definitely a huge loss for the industry as a whole.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Remember the special issue of "Superman" (pre-Crisis revamp) they did in honor of Julie's 70th birthday? It was a real surprise for everyone because it was in the middle of a 3-part Superman/Lex Luthor story arc, and the DC Comics staff had to really work in secret to keep Julie from seeing it.

It was a wonderful story in which he was spotlighted as the main supporting character of the story, and he and Superman had a nice adventure together in which they had to save Julie's Earth-1 counterpart. There was also a nice little aside to the Christopher Reeve films in which someone said, "Don't tell me they're making another one of those movies!" And at the end of the story it showed Clark putting his hat on a marble bust of Julie's face.

Such a sweet story, and a wonderful memory of one of comics' pioneers of the 20th century. The world's a bit sadder now without him. May he rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks