What's new

Journey to the Center of the earth (1 Viewer)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
If I remeber right, a few months ago Peter Staddon from FOX said Journey to the Center of the Earth could be a future DVD release. Anyone heard anything bout it yet? I would LOVE to have this movie on DVD, if anyone has any news at all it would be great to know.
Chat Transcripthttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/fox3.txt

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I asked him about it too a while back and got a "Sometime in 2002" answer. Sure would love to see this as a 5-Star ala M*A*S*H. Wishful thinking I guess.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I know I am very eager to have JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH on DVD in some sort of special edition, with an isolated Bernard Herrmann score and a 16:9 enhanced wide screen transfer from restored elements.
Also, Peter Staddon mentioned in the last chat that there is a good chance we would be seeing a double feature THE LODGER and HANGOVER SQUARE on DVD in 2002. I hope these two Laird Cregar classics find their way to DVD this year as well.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
The next time Peter Staddon does a live chat, I hope someone can ask him about the status of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH in case I'm not able to do it myself. This is the one Fox film I'd want on DVD above all others.

--Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention The Day the Earth Stood Still. ...

Yep, I want Journey pretty bad. I have such fond memories of that flick--I can even tolerate Pat Boone's facsimili of an Irish accent (and that song he had to sing)!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
A Five Star JTTCOTE would be fantastic...heck, I would be happy with just the film and the trailer.

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm dying for this movie to come out... I bought the VHS movie last year when I got the craving and realized there was no disc available... I just adore Hans (and Gerturde, his pet duck...)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I was 9 when this first came out, and I must have seen it 10 times on its initial run. Fell in love with Diane Baker. James Mason is incredibe. And that was a SCOTTISH access that Pat Boone screwed up (well, at least he tried)

Cheers

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Fox no-shows, what ever happened to the In Like Flint / Our Man Flint double feature advertised on the inserts of the last round of 2fers? I was really looking forward to that.
Think they'll try to time its release with the new Austin Powers movie? I hope so...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
quote:
------
"...Fell in love with Diane Baker."
-----
Arlene Dahl isnt too hard on the eyes either...
FOX put out a lovely remastered-restored(?) LD of this in 1998-
DD Stereo and it looks wonders above the previous edition.
Im surprised that they somehow 'overlooked' this classic for a DVD release.
A 5-Star Edition of this is a must!
If they could perhaps cut out the Pat Boone crooning, and insert Dimetrodon footage instead, that would be a plus. ;-)
---
And more recognition ought to go to the FOX resident Chief spfx genius
LB Abbott- who did a generally great job without any digital help, in his years at the studio. (approx 1955-1975)
Some of his work was good, some of it astounding. I think it depended on his budget.
His very first work, uncredited, was on THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL team. He died in 1985.
The following IMDb list fails to include his work on
LOST IN SPACE (1965) and
LAND OF THE GIANTS (1968)
and ALL of the original PLANET OF THE APES films.
Link Removed

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Anyone know when the next chat with Fox will be? Anyone running the site know anything about a future chat?
JTTCOTE 5 Star Edition in OAR, 5.1DD, actor and director commentaries, trailers, featuretts, and all the other good stuff. It would also be awesome if they released it LE with a LE print of the book.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A 4.1/5.1 track is very possible since most of the 1950's CinemaScope films were released with multi-track magnetic sound (on 35mm).

I'd definately like a DVD of this movie.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Like most of you on this post I am a 60's left over, meaning that I have fond memories of so many great films produced from the mid 50's through to the early 70's. I'm glad there are a few of you that are keenly anticipating the release of Journey To The Center Of The Earth in all it's widescreen splendor. (I wonder what the aspect ratio was?)
Despite all of today's digital effects there is a certain charm in the older films,alot of it simply because people back in those times seemed to have a more generous spirit and there was more thoughtfulness within people's character. There are obviously good films being produced today and although it is only a personal observation I have to say that what seems to pass for entertainment today makes me long for more releases on dvd like JTTCOTE.There are so many older classic films from that era that need to be restored and brought to life.I was just thinking about A Guide For The Married Man,What's Up Doc?,Flight Of The Phoenix,King Soloman's Mines(Stewart Granger),A Thousand Clowns,Charly..........
;)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
And let's not forget The Flim Flam Man, The Paper Chase, and The Last of Shiela

Three my favorites of the era. I could watch 'em over and over.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
As far as getting an isolated score on JTTCOTE, it ain't gonna happen. You can thank greedy little bootleggers who ripped off the "Alien" isolated score and pirated it. Thanks to them Fox has decreed no more isolated scores so we all suffer thanks to them. The next best thing...you can still buy the official release of Bernard Herrmann's incredible original score in stereo on CD. It contains all the original cues from the film plus the Pat Boone songs. My only objection is the songs are placed sporadically throughout the disc and should have been placed as supplementary material at the end (IMO). The OAR of the film was 2.35:1 CinemaScope in 4 track magnetic stereo so hopefully Fox will give us the original in 4.0 on dvd.
Jeff

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
JTTCOTE 5 Star Edition in OAR, 5.1DD, actor and director commentaries, trailers, featuretts, and all the other good stuff.
Diane Baker just appeared in the featurette for STRAIT-JACKET so I'm sure she would participate. Arlene Dahl is still going strong too. And Pat Boone must be proud of the movie - he was one of the producers (uncredited).

Please hear us, Mr. Staddon!

--Bill

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I know Peter said they were waiting to release "In Like Flint" to cross promote with Austin Powers, so maybe when The Time Machine is released on DVD, they will release "Journey...".

(I know, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, but Disney is also supposed to be working on 20,000 Leagues for later this year, another Verne book/James Mason movie.)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...Actually, the 1998 LD had been announced to have an isolated Herrmann score, but that did not happen;
Sadly, the director, Henry Levin died in 1980.
The man who helmed the effects, L.B. Abbott, died in 1985,
and the great James Mason in 1984;
A commentary with Baker, Dahl and Pat Boone could work, as long
as he refrained from breaking out into crooning during slack parts of the discussion.
:)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Just wanted to revisit this thread, in the hopes that Peter Staddon would see it and give us an update. I for one am dying for this wonderful classic on dvd!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks