What's new

Jet Li's "Hero" Any word? (1 Viewer)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Actually, there's an even better release which is (legally) available. It's a DVD-9 with DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, anamorphic 1.85:1, Region 0 NTSC, English & Chinese (simplified/traditional) subtitles, and it's the 98 min cut. It's all over eBay...

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Michael -

Sounds good. Is there anywhere besides ebay where I can get that DVD? I've checked both Poker Industries and Hkflix and they don't carry it.
- Guy

Guy_K

Second Unit
I thought the visuals were beautiful, the fight scenes were amazing, and the themes the story presented were intriguing enough. However, I can't say it's without it's faults. I thought the acting was adequate (didn't really like Jet Li), the characterization was very poor, and I didn't really care about any characters. Overall I really enjoyed it though.. Definately worth a watch.

Comparing Hero to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I definately prefer the latter, primarily because of the better characterization and (IMO) epic story structure.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Jeff-
Thanks for the link, but DDDHouse only lists an R3 DVD. I guess I'll just have to go to Ebay.

Funny that Miramax has no objection to the plain DD version, only the DTS version.
- Guy

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Michael -

Sounds good. Is there anywhere besides ebay where I can get that DVD? I've checked both Poker Industries and Hkflix and they don't carry it.
I'd say eBay is your best bet for now, but keep in mind that a special edition is in the works, as Matthew mentioned earlier. It should be available next month, and will contain the extended version of the film (an extra 18 minutes).

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
HKFLIX will be carrying the extended version when it is officially released. Basically, Miramax has to tell them specifically to stop carrying a title before they pull it and they haven't said anything yet. This is why they carried THE TOUCH for a little while.

Matt

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Just got the DTS version. I only have a DD setup for now, but the DD track is amazing so I can only hope the DTS is even better (upgrading my receiver at the end of the month). As for the movie, I don't think I can come up with enough superlatives to describe it. Gorgeous cinematography. Really one of the most beautiful in recent years and should cement Chris Doyle as one of the master DPs of all time. Great performances, although I thought Tony Leung was the standout. Jet seems much more comfortable and expressive in Chinese than in English where he comes off a bit colorless. The fight between Tony and Jet at the Lake has become a real favorite of mine. And the story is very interesting; a sort of period-epic Rashomon. In short one of the best films this year, period, and well worth the $20 for the DVD (I ended up ordering from Poker Industries) especially when you consider that Miramax has the US rights and Harvey Scissorhands is probably going to work on it now.

Quick question does anyone have a translation for the opening crawl and the words which appear over the Great Wall at the end? I assume that they're some sort of historical background, a little bit of which I remember from the Asian history course I took in college.
- Guy

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Quick question does anyone have a translation for the opening crawl and the words which appear over the Great Wall at the end? I assume that they're some sort of historical background, a little bit of which I remember from the Asian history course I took in college.
I'm surprised the DVD didn't have this subtitled, but luckily, I grabbed the VCD screenshots:

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
No problem. I haven't yet seen the film, but I'll grab the screenshot of the "great wall" when I do.

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the extended version yet? Is it worth buying if you already have the regular version?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I grabbed the DTS RSDL version too (pretty cheap on ebay!) and I love the fight scenes. As for the quality you can tell the DTS sounds better than the DD track if you listen close enough so holding out for the DTS is a good idea.

Video quality could definitely improve. Colors seem washed out and either the film grain or lousy compression is really annoying me. If the North American pressing is noticeably better on the video side (which it probably will be) AND it has the Mandarin track I'll pick it up too.

I'm pretty sure the extended version is just more story and drama which is already flooding the movie. If there's a fight scene in it though let us know! ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well Scott, I think you can count out the Mandarin track, and 5-20min of the movie :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We have no idea how badly Miramax will destroy the film. But you can count on dub-only and cut

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Did they cut "Iron Monkey?" I didn't see the wide release as I own the import but I hear from a friend who saw both that if there were cuts, he missed them. The missing Mandarin/Cantonese track was more annoying. Why release them as dub only when Crouching Tiger (the real reason mainstream audiences will see HK/Chinese film today) did so well with subs. Grr...

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks