What's new

Jacques Demy French DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jason*O

Grip
Does anyone have the French Region 2 dvd's of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Young Girls of Rochefort. They are both out in 2-disc special editons and I'm wondering about the transfers and special materials (are they subtitled).

Thanks for any information

Jason

I have the two individual albums and recommend them both highly. I also have the American version of Umbrellas, and will never watch it again, because the video of the French version is so much better.

Yes, both have English subtitles available. In Demoiselles, it's also fun to see performaces by Gene Kelly and George Chakiris.

Keith Smith

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've just recently viewed the French Umbrellas disc (single disc edition - didn't know there was a double). The picture quality is really very good, and sound is very adequate, both considering the age of the film. There isn't too much in terms of extras (one short documentary, beside the usual), but what there is is pretty interesting, including the imaginitive trailer.

Jason*O

Grip
Do the documentaries on the discs have english subtitles?
And is the video 16/9 enhanced?

Thanks
Jason

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
The video is indeed 16/9. Not sure about the subtitles for the documentaries - haven't got the disc anymore.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have the French Demoiselles disc (a double sided DVD -- the film -- anamorphic but so-so transfer on one side, has English subs), the Agnes Varda documentary, probably does too, but I'll have to look.

Ted

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
As for the 2 disk '... Rochefort,' does the Varda documentary include English subtitles?

Apparently it is no longer available at Amazon.fr. Are there other suggestions on running down a copy?

Thanks.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I guess I'll answer the actual question being posed - I have both 2 disc sets. They are both better than their American counterparts in terms of transfer quality, both are enhanced for widescreen TVs. The extras on both sets do not have subtitles. The films, of course, do.

The Umbrellas transfer is especially good and is really in its proper ratio. Even the redone American version is slightly cropped at the sides, as you can easily tell in the main titles. There is no side cropping on the French DVD. If you can find them, by all means get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks