What's new

I've just had 'the' conversation with my supervisor (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Actually, I don't know how it is in California, but around here, if your company has justification to terminate you, you don't get squat. If you're laid off, you get unemployment. Or if you can make a case for wrongful termination you can get unemployment, but that's very hard to do.
I went through the wrongful termination proceedings here, and it was a case of watching your tax dollars at leisure. I had all my ducks lined up at the outset, and still had to go through 3 different EEOC tribunals which are heavily slanted toward the employer, before I finally received my benefits, almost 4 months later. By then it almost wasn't worth the effort, which I'm sure was the whole point of my old company fighting my claim.
But, after going through the experience, I fully agree with Steve, Todd, and Jack. Don't linger around a job you hate while you wait for the other shoe to drop. That doesn't show very good judgement, or class honestly. Put yourself in their shoes. If you were paying someone to do a job, and you knew they hated it, what would you do for/with them? If I'm taking a man's money, I want him to think I'm worth his effort, even if I don't think much of what I'm doing.
My current job I love, and I'm not making a ton of money at it. I had to move to a city with a high cost of living, and my wife and I are expecting a baby in January. So after all of our expenses, including doctor's visits, our post-expenses income is negligible. But we've never been happier. And I used to have money to burn at my prior job.
So, without being too non-HTF-friendly, I'd say to get off your duff now, not later. If you really have the attitue you say, have the courage of your convictions and do something about it. Rattling off on a public forum does absolutely zip for your future prospects.
That, and realize that people wouldn't give you this kind of advice unless they didn't want you to make the same mistakes they did. Think about it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I F*CKING DESPISE my job.

I work for a huge computer company(3 letters, take a guess) But Im not a employee, I got the job as a contractor.Unfotunately I think this is the future - hire contractors and save $$ on benefits,pensions,etc.

As people leave, we're given more to do. They dont hire new people.The pays SUCKS - and no pay increases in site,in fact we took a pay cut about a year ago.

All the companies employees (non contractors) get nice hefty bonus, work from home, come in 2 fucking days a week and make 4x what we do. All these guys have massive egos and think theyre something special.

I could write a book on the BS thats done at this place on a daily basis.

Now, we're going to be getting less coverage with our benefits as of the new year.

It sucks. I just recently decided to go back to school becuase I cant take anymore. No wonder Im depressed.

And people wonder why theres no more loyalty to the job.
Every single contractor in my dept is looking for another job.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"You're under the false notion (along with most of America) that more income = better life."

I say its absolutley true that more money = better life. Im already miserable, so I may as well get paid too.

All my complaining and unhappiness omes from struggling from money problems.

I could care less - Id shovel shit if it paid me more money.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I read an article in the USA Today a couple of weeks ago that said 46% of workers wanted to change jobs. People think their companies have NO loyalty towards them but expect lapdog loyalty from them. Percieved low pay and decreasing benefits (or no benefits) were a factor too....

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I like my job. I work with good, dedicated people (for the most part), feel like I'm contributing to society, and find my work intellectually stimulating (sometimes too much so).

But I'm paid pathetically considering my levels of skill and education. I make about half of what many of my friends do who have similar qualifications and work in other areas.

It's a tradeoff I'm willing to live with, at least for now. Almost any job/career involves some sort of compromise, right?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be entitled to unemployment benefits?"

OH no, you're entitled but WHY if you are able bodied would you want to go on hock???

If I worried about what I was owed, I'd be breaking a leg every year soI could get my free medical care ......HEY, I pay for it!!!

"but I've never agreed with the protection they've offered the tenured slacker"

... I see it EVERY day!! I'm luckey enough that I've got the "do it well" syndrome. If I go home and feel like I've put in a full day of work I'm satisfied. I couldn't have the "did I dogf__K enough today??" syndrome!!

Brent

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Anyway I'm also in the process of finding out more about personal bankruptcy. Two things I'm sick of: my job and paying the same bills every month. There are ways of fixing both of those.
I would suggest doing everything you can possibly do to avoid filing for bankruptcy. Even if it means taking a part-time job while you are unemployed. Having messed up credit will stay with you a long time.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When an employer terminates an employee and shows cause (i.e., poor performance, poor attendance, disruptive conduct, theft, etc.) no unemployment benefits are forthcoming.

Also, Gary, bear in mind that California is an at-will state, meaning your employer can axe you without having to justify anything; laws in this state favor employers (there's no requirement for verbal or written warnings or anything).

And California's unemployment insurance pays out among the lowest rates in the nation.

If I may be so bold, it sounds a little like maybe you're young and have two living parents to bail you out of potential homelessness.

Having no such safety net, I make my editors very, very happy -- show up early, leave late, do more than is asked, clearly value my gig, edit the hell out of manuscripts and stories, do layout without being asked, help the other editors, etc. That's the sort of ethic any employer would prefer to see.

Also, check out the unemployment levels in California. This isn't 1995-1999 any longer.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
As Jack described, going above and beyond is truly the only way to make it here in this region. I might add, reliability. I'm very suprised at the missed amount of work some are allowed to get away with. Being present, healthy and motivated is a much needed foundation at any company. Employers notice this more than you think. I was hired 3 years ago by Suzuki over many other applicants. I was told the reason for my acceptance was length of service with my previous employer and the amount of time missed. Which was 5 days over the span of ten years. Despite feeling qualified, I also feel very fortunate to have this job. In your initial post Gary, your feelings seem to be quite opposite. It's a hard lesson to learn that your displeasure with your job is not your employer's problem.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If I may be so bold, it sounds a little like maybe you're young and have two living parents to bail you out of potential homelessness.

Having no such safety net, I make my editors very, very happy
The first time I read the original post, I thougth to myself "must be nice to have a safety net".

I am 25, and I don't have one either. Having not established financial security yet, if I loose my job, I will be on the streets in no time. Of course I would end up crashing with some friend, but it's not the same thing... When you need your job to live, it certainly changes your perspective, and you realise that liking it is vastly overrated - far down my list of priorities.

--
H

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Smiley or not....this is probably closer to the truth than one likes to think. The "employers" pay just enough so the "proles" can never afford to be free. Employers then threaten constant job loss which the poorly paid "prole" knows would mean financial disaster.

Job performance means nothing to the scumbags in charge at modern corporations. You can polish their apples for them all you want. As soon as it is convenient for them to eliminate you, they do. To modern management, the apple polisher is just as big a piece of shit as the so-called "dog-fucker". Loyalty to a company is a dead concept. I'll work for them, but if a better opportunity comes up....it will be fuck you and thanks for all the fish. That is how companies deal with their employees, so why shouldn't the employee deal the same way with the company?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Sorry. The rant wasn't really because of your comment. I just think your comment is closest to the truth.

I just start getting hot under the collar when I read some of the posts in threads like this. I know I should stay out of these threads, but it's like a car accident.....I just can't help but look.

It especially makes me hot when I read the constant anti-union stances that get posted. Like as if unionized people are the only ones who "dog-fuck"....give me a break. I don't care who a person is or where they work: no one works every minute of the work day. It is human nature to try and cut corners and create "downtime". The companies know it and they take advantage of it. Why do companies put in suggestion boxes? Because they want to "reward" their wonderful employees for a job well done? Yeah, right!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Job performance means nothing to the scumbags in charge at modern corporations. You can polish their apples for them all you want. As soon as it is convenient for them to eliminate you, they do. To modern management, the apple polisher is just as big a piece of shit as the so-called "dog-fucker". Loyalty to a company is a dead concept."

Absolutely!!!!

The past few years this company has been going thru the old timers and canning them at a time right before they achieve their full pensions. Its been going on for years - it saves them money.

Someone here got so tired of being abused that the moment she got her old job back, she quit with no notice and made sure she fucked the company. She threw away crucial documents during a dept audit.

A employee here recently referred to contractors as "stupid,uneducated and lazy" yet WE run the dept. It functions and runs daily becuase of us - not them. They log on from home and take their kids to the park, go furniture shopping, etc.Ive waiting up to 2 hours to hear back from some of these guys while instant messaging them with a question.If they were working from home, theyd be sitting in front of their laptop.

Im in the process of doing a month long project, which keeps me from doing my job, becuase a ***er wont do it. She simply cant be bothered. It would mean less time playing with her dogs at home. I made it clear it wasnt my job and I wasnt happy about it - but they dont care.

When I first got this job, I stayed late, put in hours without billing them. I created databases and a filing system for things to run more efficiently here and help keep track of assetts,and technical info - now I can care less.I leave early, I database only what i have to to cover my ass, I dont go out of my way IN ANY WAY here.

I dont want to sound bitchy. I dont feel lucky or furtunate to be here. I work and earned it.This doent have to be a bad job. The problem is the pay, which isnt alot and the people running the dept. They sit in meetings and decide things to do and dont stick to it. They often create twice the work, things get repeated or even scrapped after months of work.They but dont run the day to day business - too many chiefs and not enough Indians.They create alot of work that amounts to nothing. Ive seen people leave and their jobs become absolete with a HUGE amount of paper left behind.

As far as pay goes, I dont understand how they expect people to live off what jobs around here pay. The cost of living here has gone up x10 in the past 13 years(more people moving here from NYC) but the pay hasnt gone up. How is someones who makes $11-17 a hour supposed to afford a $370k home or even $1200 a month rent?

Relocation is definitely a option, but reqires money to do it.

Im just trying to not kill someone until I can find something else.

Im basically done with Corporate America, Ive had enough. I truly belive the way to go in todays world is Healthcare or some sort of trade -plumber,electrician or the like.

Sorry for the long reply, I guess I needed to rant a bit too. :)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The "employers" pay just enough so the "proles" can never afford to be free.
You and you alone are responsible for your personal finances. "The Man" that's keeping you down is you.

Make no mistake- I'm loyal to no one but myself. But, to not put forth your best effort (and I don't mean filling every millisecond of every work day with some busy work- I'm talking quality, not quantity) is to be disloyal to yourself, IMO.

But, I see a common theme among my friends who hate their work- they've filled their lives with crap that they can hardly pay for, with income (along with substantial credit) from a job they don't like. "I deserve it," they say. Then, when their substandard performance gets them canned and/or laid off, they boo-hoo about how "The Man" screwed them financially.
PUH-lease. I work on contract, year to year. With the customer's dire financial condition, each of the past three years has been a bit of a cliffhanger as to whether I would stay. I have sacrificed the opportunity to have MANY shiny trinkets, so that I might have a bit of stability in light of a contract cancellation. I'm ready for it. The amount of time that I could continue to live my decidedly modest life (small home, stay-at-home wife and one kid/one on way, one car payment, mini-vacations close to home or relatives, no new HT gear for years;) ) without income is measured in YEARS, not months. No one but me did that for me, and I did it on a decidedly modest income (dead middle five figures), and I did it in the past six years. Sure, I could have two shiny new cars, instead of one (which is now 2.5 years old). Sure, I could have a 3000sq ft. home instead of 1500. BUT, that would leave me high and dry in the event of a job loss. Something that I am absolutely NOT WILLING to do to my family.

So, frankly, I'm tired of hearing about what "The Man" is doing to you. Look more closely- you may be doing it to yourself.

Todd

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I F*CKING DESPISE my job.

I work for a huge computer company(3 letters, take a guess) But Im not a employee, I got the job as a contractor.Unfotunately I think this is the future - hire contractors and save $$ on benefits,pensions,etc.

As people leave, we're given more to do. They dont hire new people.The pays SUCKS - and no pay increases in site,in fact we took a pay cut about a year ago.
Sounds to me like you're mad at the wrong company. As a contractor, your 3 letter client doesn't owe you anything of the things you are complaining about. Sounds to me like you are getting the shaft from your contract company, not the site you work at.
Heck, the way you described being an employee there sounds like a great place to me. I agree being a contractor sucks, but you don't deserve any of the same benefits the full time employees get so it sounds like it is business as normal in your role.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Todd

You've outlined the reasons I've decided to pursue a career in academia perfectly after spending 3 years working for a Fortune 500 company.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"your 3 letter client doesn't owe you anything of the things you are complaining about."

The only complaint that doesnt involve them is the money which is a contractor problem. The work conditions,the way contractors are treated in general and their attitude towards us most definitely concern the 3 letter company becuase we deal with and work with their employees.The employees are in the decision making positions. These arent problems between contractors(who all get along and help each other) but between contractors and company employees.

"but you don't deserve any of the same benefits the full time employees"

Ive been here 5 years and often work over 40 hours a week.That doesnt sound like fulltime to you? A friend of mine who works here has been here 10 years, but is considered a Temp.The term "Temp' means nothing. tis a way to save money.The number of employees fom the ages 25-40 is miniscule compared to the number of company employees from 40 and over. Theyd rather hire contractors.

IM NOT asking for a pension and their benefits,but better treatment and some consideration would be nice.Despite what these guys think, contractors arent part of a lower cast system.You may not think its true,but I work here and comments made have gotten back to us and trust me, these people consider contractors to be SHIT.We've had a couple employees stick up for us (with the Big Boss)becuase theyve seen some of what goes on.

Edwin is 100% correct from my experiences working at 2 different sites for this company. They want more more more and could care less. If you stick up for yourself, your not a team player and they have no problem firing you - theres always someone else out there that needs a job.

Todd, your right, I have to change the situation which as I said is why Ive decided to go back to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks