What's new

I've isolated the source of the humming in my system, now how do I get rid of it? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
It's my Dish Network receiver that causes my external amp to hum! I disconnected the line in from the wall out of the back of the receiver and the hum disappeared, but now I have no satellite signal. How do I eliminate the hum for good?

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
I recently corrected exactly the same problem on my system. The solution for me was:
1. Tightened the dish cable ground connection to the building ground at the point of entry.
2. Tightened the electrical panel ground connection to the water main entry, and added a second ground clamp.

This worked for me. Your solution may be different, for instance your building ground may be a stake, but I would bet your problem is a loose or non-existent ground connection(s) somewhere.

Someone is sure to post here suggesting that you use cheater plugs on your three-prong power plugs. Don't. It is illegal and dangerous. I have recently posted on that topic in other threads.

Wayne

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Certainly, Kevin.

All you need to do is run an 8-guage ground wire from the dish to the house ground stake. There should also be a ground block for the RF cable. That needs to be grounded at the house ground state as well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Thanks for the great help guys! Just a few more questions and I think I'll be good to go. First, can I just take an iron rod and drive it into the ground next to the house, letting it protrude a few inches out of the ground? Second, where does the grounding end connect on the satellite dish? Finally, what is an RF ground block and where does it connect on the satellite? Thanks for the advice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kevin,
Where does the grounding end connect on the satellite dish?
There should be a lug on it somewhere for a ground lead.
Kevin, if there is no ground on your dish or coaxial feed, your installer needs to find another line of work. I would certainly call the installation company and raise holy you-know-what.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, I'd be very surprised if there is no ground to your electrical panel box. Have a look at the panel and see if there isn't a large bare twisted strand copper cable going into the box. It will be about 3/16" or so in diameter. If there is one, trace it back if you can and see where it goes. It has to connect to something, either a ground stake or a water pipe. If you live in a residential area with city water service, then this cable probably goes to the main water pipe entering the house and is clamped there. If so, tighten that clamp down.
Let us know what you find.
Also, be sure to add the ground clamp as shown in Wayne P's excellent photo, if there isn't one there already. The installer should have done this.
At my house all of these were installed but none of them were tight.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
And, if your ground goes to a water pipe, make sure that someone before you hasn't replaced an intervening piece of iron or copper pipe with plastic: that tends to be non-conductive. (My cable TV was grounded this way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks