What's new

I've got a Malata, now what software? (1 Viewer)

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Always in the past I've looked enviously at some of the discussions about non-region 1 dvds, wishing I had a player capable of playing these disks. Well, now I've got the player, and would like some suggestions of non-region 1 disks that are worth a look at this time (compared to their R1, or nonexistant R1 counterparts). I'm not the biggest martial arts/HK fan, but any suggestions for the best titles in that area for a beginner/non fan would be great, plus any recommendations outside that arena, including my current fave, British TV shows, would be much appreciated.
-Neil

Fred B

Agent
Hey Neighbor :)
I am about to take the plunge myself. Those Hong Kong Legend DVDs have my name written all over them. I would reccomend buying Iron Monkey and Once Upon a Time in China I or II (all HKL Region 2 titles). This will give you a pretty good indication of how much you like this genre. I personally want a Region Free player for all of the following.
South Park Volume 7-14 (R4)
Bean Volume 1-4 (R4)
Eyes Wide Shut (uncut) (R2)
Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels Director's Cut (R2)
Hong Kong Legends R2
I really only want to buy DVDs that I don't think will ever be released or rereleased in Region 1.
I really wish I never heard of the Malata DVD player, I have too many DVDs already :) Argggg
------------------
DVD Tracker List
Email: [email protected]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Neil, if you want the best in kung-fu/HK action, then here is what I recommend, as so far, even my non kung-fu friends have enjoyed them a great deal...
From http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/films.html
Here is a http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/comesoon.html
Non-Kung-Fu: the Japanese MAD MAX costs about $20 now and has both the original and dubbed soundtracks. Very nice non-anamorphic widescreen transfer.
Japanese release of Jackie Chan's WHO AM I? is the very best version in the world. Catalogue #PIBF-1220. It can be ordered through CD-JAPAN and is worth the $. Fantastic, uncut 16x9 transfer, DD5.1 sound that is much better than the HK and U.S. releases. An English language film, so no subtitle worries. There is a sequence with a South African tribe, but Jackie doesn't understand what the natives are saying, so the loss of subtitles does not hurt it at all (I tested this by showing the film to friends and they were not lost). The first hour is not all that fantastic. It's somewhat slow to start and takes it time moving forward, but once it does, hold onto your seats.
The final action on top of the building is one of Jackie's greatest fights. It's a crime this film was not released to theaters in the U.S., while shit like MR. NICE GUY was.
By the way, Eyes Wide Shut is available in Hong Kong, NTSC, same exact DVD as released here, only NOT censored! Always better to have NTSC than PAL, if the film is the same (no 4% speedup).
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 05, 2001 at 10:21 PM]

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, those are some great suggestions.
And thanks Matt, for all of your posts across the various forums regarding the Malata. Heck, you make all those titles sound irresistable, even for someone that really insn't into that type of movie :)
Fred B, what part of town do you live in? I'm in the extreme NW......Tenaya/Elkhorn area

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Neil, pre-order POLICE STORY. If you don't like it, then you will save yourself the trouble of ever viewing HK films again, because POLICE STORY is just the very best.
However, if you do like it, well, the addiction begins.
biggrin.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Matt,
You ever feel like you're a yo-yo going between the various forums?
biggrin.gif
Thanks again for the recomendations...and will do with the pre-order. Damn you! :)

Fred B

Agent
Yeah, I agree with getting Police Story, it is Jackie Chan's second best movie, IMO, after Drunken Master 2 (U.S. title was Legend of the Drunken Master). PS and DM2 got me hooked into Hong Kong movies. I now own about 50 HK DVD's and want about 50 more. They are very addicting.
BTW I am new to Las Vegas, moved here about 1 month ago. I live close to Decatur and Sahara. This heat is killing me :)
------------------
DVD Tracker List
Email: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks