What's new

iTunes, Apple ultimately in trouble? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I don't know. I paid more for a small Canon digital camera. I could have paid less and got a better camera but the ability to stick in any pocket is worth the price to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, to report back from Macworld, I saw and held the new minipod. I think it's very cool. The fit and finish and execution of the new wheel controls are all top notch. The colors are really nice in person. The feel of the new thin size is very nice. When I got home and picked up my first gen iPod, it felt huge! You're paying for size, for sure, as I suspected, in person, it really does look and feel smaller. It will look great next to my PowerBook, as Apple intended.

If you wait a while, it should go down in price. If this minipod is a smash, and I suspect it will be, then I bet in a little while the price will drop.

Nelson

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein

on the otherhand, i would expect the younger crowd to have in general a much larger mp3 collection than an older crowd, plus they would tend to be more technology savvy and appreciate the larger size. just my opinion, of course.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
my other question is why arent people talking more about GarageBand? it has the possibility of unleashing huge amounts of crappy, poorly thought out music (and even nonunique if a lot of people just use the built in samples) onto the world. id say this is a much bigger story than the mini ipod.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Garage Band looks very cool to me -- it also has the potential of unleashing some very good music...

In other news, Apple & HP announced today that HP will be selling iPods under the HP name (Apple builds them, HP slaps a logo on 'em) and that iTunes will come pre-installed on every HP-PC. Sounds like Apple likes its dominant market share and will do whatever it takes to keep it.
I don't think so -- not after this announcement...:)

Ted

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Yeah, a great way for Apple to make more money and invest in even cooler stuff. And they get to sell more songs, possibly reaching a better profit position on just the songs.

:cool:

Brian-W

Screenwriter
You know, after coming back from CES, Apples 4GB for $250 isn't so bad.

There were plenty of other music players in the 2GB-4GB range that had price tags (SRP) of $225-$300. I'm sure they street a lot lower than the new miniPod, but I was shocked at the prices of these other players. Don't have the magazine in front of me (TWICE - CES Edition Day 1) but there are more 2GB-4GB models in that price range.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
From my reading of the press releases it will be exactly identical to the iPod except for logo and "HP blue" color. I have no idea about the price, but I would imagine that the deal would insure that HP's price stays the same as Apple's.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks