What's new

Is Toshiba 3960 or 3950 really that good??? (1 Viewer)

JayBrownII

Auditioning
Hi, folks, I've been hearing this many times. Looks like people are crazy about this Toshiba series. Can't resist the temptation so I bought one (3960) two days ago. To be honest, I'm disappointed. I'm not saying it's bad, but I can't tell any difference between it and my old Panasoic RV32. Of course, I didn't do any mods yet. But according these "3950/60" guys, even the stock unit should sound pretty good. Any one has any experience on this?
thanks and happy new year,
Jay

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I compared my friends' unmodded 3960 to my 15+ year old High end Denon CD player on my system... compared to the denon, the tosh had emphasis on the high end and low end, providing clearer and smoother highs, and thumpier bass... however, it lacked the fullness in the midrange.

Voices seemed 'breathier', and less full with the toshiba.

I wasn't totally BLOWN AWAY either...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Hometheaterhifi.com rated the 3960 as the best budget DVD player, mainly because of video. I've never read about it being great at audio.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Jim Mcc: The 3950/60 has been all the rage of late over at AudioAsylum...

JayBrownII

Auditioning
My wife said she can tell the 3960 has better highs - bright and clear. :) Of course, that depends on what kind of music we are listening to.

lnguyen

Auditioning
Before I used SD3950 for video and music, then I bought Nad C 541i. Music from 3950 sounded quite thinner than from my Nad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks