What's new

Is there even a ghost of a chance for the Jasper Puppetoons (George Pal)? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I saw one of them (the "Haunted House" one) on an Australian DVD that compiles a bunch of other "politically incorrect" toons and really liked it. Who owns these?

I suspect there's not even a snowball's chance of this coming out, but maybe somebody around here has heard something, one way or t'other.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
That's a good question. The George Pal Puppetoons series theatrically released by Paramount were sold to television in the 1950's along with the non-Popeye Famous Studios cartoons (Little Lulu, et. al.) and (I believe) Fleischer Betty Boops as well. I remember seeing these as a child. The original titles preceded by NTA presents.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If they were sold to NTA, that means that Viacom now owns them, since Viacom acquired Republic/NTA at the same time they acquired the Spelling Productions assets. They may also be subject to the bizarre licencing arrangement that sees Lionsgate releasing The Monster Squad later this year.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I think at least one Jasper short was included in "The Puppetoon Movie", which is out on DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The camera negatives to a lot of these are listed at the UCLA Film & TV Archive, so I'd love to see Republic/Paramount/Lionsgate issue some restored sets. The Puppetoon Movie DVD has top-notch quality, but it's obvious they were limited to lesser elements (especially since they crop or paint out the Paramount logos/copyrights).

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
There are more than one Jasper on the Puppetoon DVD:

Some shorts on it:

What Ho, She Bumps (1937)
Mr. Strauss Takes a Walk (1942)
Olio for Jasper (1946)
Philips Cavalcade (1934)
Jasper's Derby (1946)
Hoola Boola (1941)
Ether Symphony (1936)
Aladdin and the Magic Lamp (1936)
Magic Atlas (1935)
Jasper and the Haunted House (1942)
Philips Broadcast of 1938 (1938)
Ship of the Ether (1934)

I believe I read somewhere that Pal's kid was trying to obtain the rights for all of the Puppetoons in hopes of releasing a complete collection but this was some time ago.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
I'm a great fan of The Puppetoon Movie, despite its crass dinosaur opening.

The film is quite unknown in the UK, and not available on dvd, nor ever seen on TV. I first caught it on holiday on US cable, and sat entranced by the imagery.

It would be really nice if George Pal's Paramount Puppetoons could all be released eventually, preferably in HD.

[the reason I suggest the paramount oeuvre is because the pre-USA puppetoons are already well represented in the extras of the puppetoon movie dvd]

A great shame they've been somewhat lost in the archives, despite Jasper's questionable adventurings.

Hopefully I'm not a lone, cultish voice here in my desire to see more of this stuff readily available for view. If the wartime disneys, the censored eleven, the SNAFU's can all see the light of day - often via their YouTube audiences and supported by wikipedia entries - then why not Jasper's Minstrels, or his watermelon world adventure?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

I saw one of them (the "Haunted House" one) on an Australian DVD that compiles a bunch of other "politically incorrect" toons and really liked it. Who owns these?

I suspect there's not even a snowball's chance of this coming out, but maybe somebody around here has heard something, one way or t'other.

Who released them in Australia?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Phoebus

Hopefully I'm not a lone, cultish voice here in my desire to see more of this stuff readily available for view.
No, you're not. I'd buy a collection transferred from good-quality elements in a second.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
As much as I'd like to the see the Puppetoons done right on DVD, it's probably not gonna happen. It's been 13 years and Lionsgate doesn't even realize they have the DVD rights to them, attempts to convince Criterion and Shout Factory that they might be worth licensing have failed, and the once venerable Disney and Warner have largely brushed the idea of releasing classic animation.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone locate info on that Australian DVD AndyMcKinney Mentioned had the "Jasper in the Haunted House" Puppetoon on?

I'm also trying to track down the "John Henry" one and I recalled it was on some DVD (or VHS (!)) compilation years ago. Might have been an East/West DVD?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Anyone locate info on that Australian DVD AndyMcKinney Mentioned had the "Jasper in the Haunted House" Puppetoon on?

I'm also trying to track down the "John Henry" one and I recalled it was on some DVD (or VHS (!)) compilation years ago. Might have been an East/West DVD?

Both are on the "Puppetoon Movie" DVD (Image ID5865ALDVD). "John Henry and the Inky-Poo" is in the body of the film, running time 7:15, with titles but no Paramount logos. "Jasper and the Haunted House" is among the bonus Puppetoons on the disc, running time 6:58, complete with Paramount logos. Both appear to be from 35mm Technicolor prints, albeit not pristine; some scratches, dust and debris, but rich colors.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

Both are on the "Puppetoon Movie" DVD (Image ID5865ALDVD). "John Henry and the Inky-Poo" is in the body of the film, running time 7:15, with titles but no Paramount logos. "Jasper and the Haunted House" is among the bonus Puppetoons on the disc, running time 6:58, complete with Paramount logos. Both appear to be from 35mm Technicolor prints, albeit not pristine; some scratches, dust and debris, but rich colors.

Is anything edited from the "John Henry and the Inky-poo" Segment?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Is anything edited from the "John Henry and the Inky-poo" Segment?
[/QUOTE]

I don't have any other version to compare it to. Is there some part in particular you have in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks