What's new

Is there a bargain Sub amp out there? (1 Viewer)

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking for some kind of car amp bargain and basically have found the internet to be no help so far. Car Audio to me has always seemed like kind of a brand name contest, and I'm looking for a very bargain sub amp in the $200 range. There are JBL 600 watt amps on the net NIB for this price, but I want to make sure that the 600.1 amp isn't a piece, and secondly that there isn't some hidden bargain like Crown or Samson in the home audio market. Anything you can provide would be VERY helpful.

If it helps I am powering a JL Audio 10W3 DVC sub.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I like Cadence amps, and they can be found pretty cheap. Reliable, good power, US built.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
JBL or Cadence are the cheapest two companies I'd recommend.
the JBL BP600.1 is a terrific amplifier for the money.
etronics.com has good pricing.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
I myself thought that the JBL BP600.1 looked like a great value but it was just SO cheap that I thought maybe it was over-rated.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
the JBL amps are actually underrated a bit.
the 600.1 actually puts out about 660WRMS on a scope.

Dan KW

Agent
I was going to suggest the jbl as well, I got beat to it:)

IMO 600+ watts to a 10w3 seems a little excessive. You'd have to be careful with that much power. I have a pair of them with 400 watts total and that enough to get them going real well

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For a single DVC you'll need an amp stable at 1-ohm since you'll be wiring it in parallel.

I have a HiFonics Brutus BX1000D bought for $180 new on ebay. It does 700wx1 RMS (1000w peak) @ 1-ohm. Gonna power an ED 12a though which can handle more power than that.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
all of JBL's BP series sub amps are 1 Ohm stable.
the output is regulated however so that the amps put out the same power at 1 Ohm as at 2 Ohms.
in the case of the 600.1, that'd be 600WRMS.
if you want a less powerful amp, there is also a 300.1 and 150.1

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the 1200.1 (big brother of the 600.1) and couldn't be happier with it. I've had it for about 3 years now, hasn't missed a beat. I'm running it at 2 ohms and never had had a heat issue.

Moral of the story: They are really nice amps

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
If you do have the JBL sub amplifier, use a pair of Y splitters to give line level signal to both front and rear inputs on the amplifier.
It makes a world of difference for some reason.
This fact has been noted by countless JBL users on another forum I frequent.

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
I did that as we probably visit the same forum! I didn't know if the 600.1 had 1 or 2 inputs, but a good suggestion Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks