What's new

Is the Yamaha RXV2200 a good buy at $425? (1 Viewer)

Nolan

Auditioning
I saw a Yamaha RXV2200 floor model for $425 dollars. I was wondering if should buy this or wait a bit. Is there anything new coming out soon that will drive the the next model up from this down to a comparably low price? should i consider a different receiver with similar traits and price?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
The 2200 is a great receiver at that price even if it is last years model. Yes the 2300 is the next one and now with the 2400 coming out, the 2200 should be available at a reduced price. If it is in your price range, I'd go for it. There is probably only a couple of bells and whistles less that the current models. Personally, I am still running a RXV-1 and several friends have 1000s or 1200s and while a "new" model may be great, it just isn't worth the expence of the upgrade.
I'd say go for it.... but make sure the dealer has a return policy since it is a floor model and little hand have been all over it.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I agree with Donny but be a little weary of buying the floor model. I did this with my Klipsch speakers and one ended up being busted. Make sure they offer a return or at least some type of warranty that is at least a year if not longer.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that would keep me from buying the 2200 is the possibility that all of the newer Yamaha receivers will have better sound (less harsh) than previous models. If the 2200 sounds great for you, go for it. But, do keep in mind that there are some other good deals on there on the RXV-740 for about $450 if you search. This would allow you to have a new, sealed receiver and also better sound and technology.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Nolan- If you are ready to buy, buy somthing now, today if possible. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that is usually promised by the mfg's with their newest model is never a reality. In most cases, the improvements offered are insignificant and will not enhance your enjoyment of home theater or your music collection. If you do not own a receiver now, each day that goes by you're missing out on the very thing that most of us here already have. Read a few posts and reviews, spend a day at your local emporium, search out a deal on your final choice then buy.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Just be wary about where you are purchasing from. The specs on the RXV2200 are great. When I buy floor models, I tend to buy from high-end shops who typically have less kids running around in them. I wouldn't buy a floor model from Best Buy, Circuit City or even Good Guys because you don't know who has been handling the item or, worse, how rough they handled it.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Just another suggestion is if you are going to spend $425 or so why not look at a Denon or HK. I love my HK and I had to make the same decision when it finally boiled down to Yamaha or HK I chose the HK. Much more nicer front panel, more features for the price, and sounded much better to me... cleaner sound.

Just a suggestion, floor models aren't usually the best to go for but if you like it then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks