What's new

Is DVD-A beneficial in an average system? (1 Viewer)

Brandon WB

Grip
My question is:

I have a average home theater/music system in my home and have a toshiba dvd-a player with a few titles (unfortunately there are slim pickings) and wonder if you need a more high end system to take advantage of the increased clarity & definition? If so how much better speakers or components would a person need to receive the benefits of this newer format.

Current system:
yamaha rxv-1300 - receiver
Boston vr950's - fronts
Boston crc - center
Boston cr75's - rears
SVS sub 25-31pci
toshiba 4800 dvd-a player
B&K 200.3 amp running front 3 channels

Opinions anyone, comments.

Thanks everyone,

Brandon

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I think that more than increased clarity it is a question of whether you are interested in hearing multi-channel mixes of music. That's what makes DVD-A (and SACD) compelling for me.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
that system should quite amply reveal the benefits.

the weak link here may be your player.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
here's where you'll get so many different opinions regarding hirez music. some people are snobbishly "anti-multichannel". others are strongly "anti-stereoONLY" regarding sacds with no multichannel tracks.

different strokes for different folks..........

although i DO enjoy multi-channel mixes in both hirez formats more than i EVER thought i would, the appeal of both formats STILL, for me, overall, is the increased resolution and clarity.

one thing i've noticed though, is that, refreshingly, many multichannel mixes often provide increased "clarity" and "resolution" strictly due to their being multichannel mixes, not just because of the superiority of the hirez formats numbers-wise.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Your setup is certainly good enough to benefit. If you're a classic rock fan, I suggest Fleetwood Mac's Rumours as a good introduction to the format. It was very well recorded in it's day and the M/C mix is (with one or two exceptions) quite nice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Paul, your setup sounds like it will definitly show off the benefits of hires.

While I enjoy some of the m/c mixes on certain discs (both SACD and DVD-A), I tend to listen to the 2ch mixes more often than not. I feel the same amount of clarity is present in most cases, regardless of 2ch or m/c. Sinec you already have the player, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from trying it out...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.