What's new

Is an ED TV why there is no comm with receiver via HDMI? (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
If this is not the right forum, please place in proper place-thanks.

I have a panasonic ED tv. This is what I could afford 4 years ago. I also have a D* HR21-700, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, regular DVD player and a new Yamaha 3800 receiver.

At first, when I hooked up either dvd player or sat box to receiver via HDMI then HDMI from receiver to tv, I did not get any pic. It sort of flickers in and out but I do get audio out of receiver to speakers. When I hook up any of these via HDMI straight to the tv, I get a pic and sound no problem.

I thought there was a problem with the receiver so I took it today to a certified Yamaha service center. Guess what?? Just like Murphy's Law, everything worked beautifully. So I get home and still no luck. UggHH!!

Is the reason why I cannot get a pic is b/c I have a ED tv? If this is the reason then why does it work from dvd player to tv but not through the receiver?

Also, What you recommend as a replacement to this tv? They have come down in price quite a bit and might be able to buy one in 4-5 months

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Can't really tell you anything about the problem, other than that it sounds like you're not the only one. You might want to try using component connections and optical and/or digital coax for audio. But no, the mere fact that you have an EDTV should not be the cause of the problem. If it has an HDMI input, it should accept an HDMI signal. I would make sure that all your devices are set to send an EDTV signal (not some HD resolution like 720p or 1080i/p.) That should include the receiver, if it has an output resolution and doesn't merely pass through whatever signal is coming from the video source.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks