1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone glass protection. Do they work?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Mike Frezon, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

On the subject of the glass protectors, my wife and I have each noted that the protectors we have installed are hardly noticeable and do not impede our use of the phone--EXCEPT for a little ridge around the home button. The protector forms a little ridge around the home button. It is shaped like an Omega sign around the home button and the two little points seem a bit more raised than the rest of the protector. (You can see what I'm talking about in the image up in Post #13.)

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ordered!

Happy birthday to Peg,
    happy birthday to Peg.......

I went with one of those particular straps because most all other iPhone wrist straps/lanyards need to attach to the case...whereas this company has figured out a good way to attach the strap to the phone itself. :thumbsup: (I hope!)

Clinton McClure likes this.
  3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I hope it works out for her, Mike. Let us know.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It rather amazes me that so many people never bother to apply a screen protector as soon as they get the phone. It would be like getting into a car accident and saying "gee, I guess I should get insurance".

5. TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    I find the case has a bit of a ridge around it that protects the glass. Our first phones always had screen protectors on them, but they always produced bubbles, and made the keyboard harder to push. For the past 8 years or so we have not bothered and never had a problem with broken or cracked screens.
    We do always try to be ultra careful with our phones.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

None of the good glass screen protectors I've used produced bubbles.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Screens are very durable now, made of glass. It's quite different from the days of plastic-screened Palm Pilots being rubbed by stylii. I don't see any benefit that's worth the cost and annoyance on my iPhone. So far, six years since my first iPhone, I've had no screen scratches.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

it's obviously not all that different. The existence of this thread proves it, with a picture of a shattered screen.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Do these plastic films prevent screen damage in such cases?

If folks like screen protectors, there's lots of options for them. Me: I don't like cases on my iPhone, my less a screen film.

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I used a screen protector on my first iPhone (a 3gs) in 2009 and hated it so much I haven't used one since. I also used to use Otterbox Defender cases on my iPhones and hated the extra bulk it offered so I stopped using them when I bought my 6s and switched to a much thinner and lighter Spigen Neo case. If it wasn't for the camera bump on the back of the phone, I wouldn't use a case at all.

11. 31 Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

You seem to be assuming that a screen protector must be film. That's not the case. Good ones are made of glass, which feels excellent, in fact indistinguishable from the screen itself. Given that the downside is essentially nonexistent, and the upside is enormous (potentially saving you a LOT of money and keeping your screen pristine), I think it makes huge sense to get one.