What's new

intresting album alert: The Friends Of Dea Martinez R back! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The Friends Of Dean Martinez's new album ON THE SHORE is a winner so far. I say so far because I just now put disc two in. Disc one was awfully good.

If you haven't heard the Friends here's my best attempt at a discription, lead steel guitar going where no steel guitar has been before. They frequently have a western country sound but not always. Their album RETROGRADE from a few years back sounds like an album of music suitable for movie soundtracks if you ask me. Some cuts they sound like a typical rock group. Sometimes it's not so obvious that a steel guitar is the lead instrument. Sometimes it sounds as though it might be bottleneck guitar, sort'a...

Their music is all instrumental. It's for those of us who like to hear people just play. Disc one had covers of WICHITA LINEMAN and the TENNESSEE WALTZ but it was hard hitting at times. The first cut OVERLOAD sounded like TFODM plays King Crimson style. The Friends are very hard to peg. So far disc 2 is pretty good. This is a very recommendable album if you want to hear intresting music that's rather un-mainstream.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Disc 2 was really good too. This may be the Friends best album. It has a little of everything, old standards, experimental sounds, slow wailing ballads, upbeat stuff. The "wall" of steel guitar sound will suprise you if you've never heard it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Does nobody on this forum listen 2 The Friends...? :eek: This is one of those different sounding bands that folks need to hear if you ask little ole me.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've always thought it was an electronica-lounge type affair, you make Dino's Frenz sound like Nashville on Singapore Slings...

:)

Wish I could hear it somewhere.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, The Friends are very difficult to describe and hear. I first heard them on college radio about 5 years ago. Otherwise, I likely would never have become aware of them. They've always recorded on independent labels. They're not at all Nashville sounding. To me, the Nashville sound is a safe sound, staying within the stereotypical country or country rock bounds. You won't hear steel guitar Friend's style in Nashville. Well, their take on WICHITA LINEMAN or TENNESSEE WALTZ could pass for Nashville sounding but the rest of this album is something else sounding. I just don't know what to call it.

Ange, maybe you should give The Friends a try? This one or RETROGRADE are my fav's. I have 5 albums by them. I noticed that song reference too. IMO, these guys are musican's musicans. They're inovative. Best wishes guyz! :)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,

I meant to reply to this post a couple of days ago. I love Friends of Dean Martinez! I missed out on seeing them a couple of years ago at SXSW in Austin. Regret that I didn't. Hope they'll make a trip to Denver soon.

I don't have the new CD, but do have Atardecer, A Place in the Sun, and Retrograde. Wonderful, moody, atmospheric music. I would characterize them as a Surf band on Quaaludes.

If you like them you should try out Calexico and anything by Jon Rauhouse. Calexico has a somewhat similar sound. Probably the closest thing to friends you may find. I have only 'The Black Light' and 'Even My Sure Things Fall Through' but can testify to their awesomeness. I'm going to try and see Calexico at SXSW this year.

Jon is one of the premier Steel Guitar players in Alt-Country playing on Bloodshot records with the likes of Neko Case, Kelly Hogan, and Sally Timms to name a few. His latest, Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Airshow is great.

Later, Rick

NP: Friends of Dean Martinez - Retrograde What else? You inspired me!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks for the response Rick! It's amazing, on a board like this inhabited by music-philes that we seem to be the only ones who have heard the Friends. RETROGRADE used to be my fav by them. I think ON THE SHORE is their best now. You should get it. Hay thar! Thu wrest auf you'ins, this is an album worth a listen. Rick, I'll try one of your suggestions, if they have them, when I go by the Disc Exchange in a couple of days. I may start out with Calexico....thanks for the suggestions!:)

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I just saw that they had a new album out when i got the latest issue of Magnet but i haven't picked it up yet. The only album i have of theirs is Atardecer but i love that one. I don't really know much about them, or actually even remember why i picked up Atardecer in the first place, but I think it's quite good.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Good show Aaron! You too have heard the Friends. To me, RETROGRADE is their most mainstream sounding album. You'll hear a bit of it all on, ON THE SHORE's 2 discs. That slow wailing wall of steel is there, as are more upbeat stuff, plus a couple of country-ish classics. They're just all over the road as usual. I'm stille suprised so few folks on ze boardt hab no hear-y Thu Friends. Best wishes!:)

P.S. - Any moderators reading this thread, feel free to give this thread's title a repair. Dean needs his 'n'. Muchas gracias!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks