What's new

Interesting article about the Warner Legends collection in the Washington Post (1 Viewer)

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
An interesting article by TV critic Tom Shales about the Warner Legends collection appeared in the Washington Post on Sunday, November 16th.

I especially liked one statement, "The DVD is the greatest boon to film preservation ever, because it has made restoring films economically viable to the studios..."

On behalf of all HTFers everywhere, I would like to thank Mr. Shales for this recognition of our good works as purchasers of DVDs.

The link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Nov14.html

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Joe, thanks for the pointer to that article. I second your thanks to Shales for spotlighting the importance of DVD preservation of classics like these. Oddly, Shales barely says anything about the Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVD, focusing almost entirely on Yankee Doodle Dandy and Robin Hood. Treasure is my favorite of the three movies, although they're all great, and each two-disc edition is magnificent. For my money, the best extra feature in the whole collection is the full-length (2 hours long) John Huston documentary on the Treasure bonus disc. It's one of the best docs I've ever seen about anything or anyone, regardless of subject matter.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
What a wonderfully written piece. Thanks to Joe for sharing that with the group. I surely would never have seen it otherwise.

Shales goes into so much detail about YANKEE DOODLE & ROBIN HOOD, it almost seems like his editor lopped out what he might have written about SIERRA MADRE. Indeed it seems odd for it to have been only briefly mentioned.

Just a hunch on my part....

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup:

Hats off to Tom Shales...

A superb piece in praise of DVDs and film restoration.

WB's Legends pack is truly one of the most remarkable releases of the year. Nice to see it receive such impressive praise.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
This box set is one of the best DVD purchases that I've made this year. It's simply awesome. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone who loves great cinema to purchase it. By doing so, you will be encouraging Warner to put out more quality product such as this. Even if you haven't seen these films, go ahead and purchase it...please! :)

Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks