Interesting article about the Warner Legends collection in the Washington Post

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Bernardi, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    An interesting article by TV critic Tom Shales about the Warner Legends collection appeared in the Washington Post on Sunday, November 16th.

I especially liked one statement, "The DVD is the greatest boon to film preservation ever, because it has made restoring films economically viable to the studios..."

On behalf of all HTFers everywhere, I would like to thank Mr. Shales for this recognition of our good works as purchasers of DVDs.

The link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Nov14.html

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Joe, thanks for the pointer to that article. I second your thanks to Shales for spotlighting the importance of DVD preservation of classics like these. Oddly, Shales barely says anything about the Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVD, focusing almost entirely on Yankee Doodle Dandy and Robin Hood. Treasure is my favorite of the three movies, although they're all great, and each two-disc edition is magnificent. For my money, the best extra feature in the whole collection is the full-length (2 hours long) John Huston documentary on the Treasure bonus disc. It's one of the best docs I've ever seen about anything or anyone, regardless of subject matter.

3. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

What a wonderfully written piece. Thanks to Joe for sharing that with the group. I surely would never have seen it otherwise.

Shales goes into so much detail about YANKEE DOODLE & ROBIN HOOD, it almost seems like his editor lopped out what he might have written about SIERRA MADRE. Indeed it seems odd for it to have been only briefly mentioned.

Just a hunch on my part....

4. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

[​IMG]

Hats off to Tom Shales...

A superb piece in praise of DVDs and film restoration.

WB's Legends pack is truly one of the most remarkable releases of the year. Nice to see it receive such impressive praise.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

fantastic article indeed Joe.

[​IMG]

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

This box set is one of the best DVD purchases that I've made this year. It's simply awesome. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone who loves great cinema to purchase it. By doing so, you will be encouraging Warner to put out more quality product such as this. Even if you haven't seen these films, go ahead and purchase it...please! [​IMG]

[​IMG]