What's new

Integrated Amp for GR-Research AV-1 (1 Viewer)

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I will be building the AV-1 with the soniccap upgrade soon and am wondering what integrated amp will be suitable.

My sources will be
  • Music server playing FLAC with high end soundcard
  • Cd player (not yet decided)
  • Tuner (again, not yet decided)
  • Ocassional DVD on the computer
  • Video Game music

The emphasis is on the music server as it will be the main use of the AV-1s

My budget is 350-600, new or used.

I have looked at NAD, Creek, Rotel, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and Onix (the A-60 at av123.com)

I have hadd a hard time selecting what I think will be best for the money. This is my first outing into some good 2-channel gear and do not want to spend too much. What do you guys suggest?

Also, one last thing, in the future I will want to add a sub, how would I do this and do all integrated amps support this?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've used them with a Marantz PM7000 (95wpc), and was pretty happy with the combination. They can be found pretty inexpensively used. I'm using MA500 monos to drive my A/V-2s.

I'd probably look for a used NAD C370 or Arcam A65+ though. They're in your price range, and will sound great.

To add a sub you can either use the second set of speaker outputs, which most will have and tweak the x-over manually. OR, use something like an ICBM, or simply run the main speaker level outs to the sub, and run the speaker outs to the A/V-1s, allowing the sub to handle the blend. With my little 2ch rig (no video), I use no sub, but if you are going to watch movies, you will want a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks