Integrated Amp for GR-Research AV-1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnPop, Apr 11, 2004.

1. JohnPop

JohnPop Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I will be building the AV-1 with the soniccap upgrade soon and am wondering what integrated amp will be suitable.

My sources will be
    • Music server playing FLAC with high end soundcard
    • Cd player (not yet decided)
    • Tuner (again, not yet decided)
    • Ocassional DVD on the computer
    • Video Game music

The emphasis is on the music server as it will be the main use of the AV-1s

My budget is 350-600, new or used.

I have looked at NAD, Creek, Rotel, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and Onix (the A-60 at av123.com)

I have hadd a hard time selecting what I think will be best for the money. This is my first outing into some good 2-channel gear and do not want to spend too much. What do you guys suggest?

Also, one last thing, in the future I will want to add a sub, how would I do this and do all integrated amps support this?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've used them with a Marantz PM7000 (95wpc), and was pretty happy with the combination. They can be found pretty inexpensively used. I'm using MA500 monos to drive my A/V-2s.

I'd probably look for a used NAD C370 or Arcam A65+ though. They're in your price range, and will sound great.

To add a sub you can either use the second set of speaker outputs, which most will have and tweak the x-over manually. OR, use something like an ICBM, or simply run the main speaker level outs to the sub, and run the speaker outs to the A/V-1s, allowing the sub to handle the blend. With my little 2ch rig (no video), I use no sub, but if you are going to watch movies, you will want a sub.