What's new

Integra DTR-5.4 vs. Onkyo TXSR-601 (1 Viewer)

I realize that the Integra line, when compared to B&M Onkyo receivers is similar to comparing a Lexus with a Toyota. Built by Onkyo, yet with better components (so they say)

Does anyone have experience with the Integra lines to offer a fair assessment of this brand of receiver? I am trying to compare the Integra DTR-5.4 with it's little Onkyo brother, the TXSR-601. The look and exterior features are nearly identical. Are the internal components worth the nearly $100 difference in costs?

Bob C

Grip
I just happen to have purchased and Integra 5.4 myself. I was comparing it with the Denon 1804, Marantz sr5400, Yamaha RX-V740, and the Onkyo 601. As you know, the 5.4 is based on the 601, so many of the features are the same. But, there are indeed differences inside. The capacitors are different, it uses different dacs, and The power supply itself is upgraded(heresay). All I can tell you is, it retains the ease of use that is Onkyo, but the quality of sound is much better. The effects are more defined and well placed, and I beleve the sound is more neutral, with a little emphasis on the highs. Although that is subjective, and I am listening on KEF Q-50's, which may or may not compare to what you have. An auto setup program would be nice, but it has on screen display that is EASY to use. Also has second zone, A-Bus, and an rs-232 port. One thing that is absent is 6.1 pre out. Not important for me, but maybe if you want to use it as a pre/pro. Otherwise, I can say this is a great receiver for the price. Almost forgot, it also offers composite to s-video conversion as well. Here is something from Onkyo on the differences.

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

Integra vs Onkyo Advantages

Ø Integra engineered power supplies-Labeled Integra

Ø Extensive use of coupling caps throughout the signal paths

Ø Precision matched parts selection

Ø Detachable Hi-Current Oxygen Free power cable

Ø Multi-Room capable on all models

Ø 3-Year Warranty

Ø 12-V triggers on selected models- Home Automation

Ø Unique Integra cosmetics

Ø The feature differences are minor and audible performance differences are due to the limited production runs and precise parts quality control used in manufacturing of the Integra models.

Bob.

Thank you, Bob. That helps a lot, especially your personal thoughts regarding the sound quality. I appreciate the help.

Bob C

Grip
No problem, Sean, I got lots of help here, as well. One thing I found very helpful was taking a few movies with chapters I know well and comparing them with all the equipment, trying to use similar speakers each time. Also bring some music with you as well, some receivers do great on music, but not as well with cinema effects. This was the case with the Denon, music was awesome, but I felt the Integra was better for effects and placement. The Marantz is also a great choice as well, gave a Rotel receiver a run for it's money in a side by side, but the Marantz is less than half the price of the Rotel. If not for the video conversion on the Integra, and the snotty salesman with the Marantz, I may have owned the Marantz instead. Lol!

Bob, I hear you on the salesman issues. It appears that the Integra is only available at the high end audio stores, where the salesmen relish the opportunity to belittle B&M stores, and clients like me that visit them for alternative solutions, given my budget limitations. I also feel the sytstems (overall) are overpriced at these stores, which raised my initial concerns about the Integra vs. Onkyo 601 - given their near identical similarities. I will take your advice next time and take along my own music and movies, since every movie that I asked for was not available for their demonstration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks