What's new

Integra DTR-30.3, Audyssey, and Hi-Res Music (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Earlier this year, I purchased an Integra DTR-30.3 receiver and an Oppo BDP-93, and connected them via HDMI. I already owned a number of SACDs and DVD-As, so high-resolution processing was important to me. However, I quickly noticed that some discs sounded great, while others sound flat and lifeless. It's taken me awhile to pinpoint the reason, but it appears that the Audyssey 2EQ in the Integra only works on signals of 96 kHz and below. The manual states that Audyssey doesn't work on DSD signals, so I knew not to expect that (and it's not a problem since I just have the Oppo decode the DSD signal and output it as PCM), but I can't find anything in there that states it is disabled on higher-resolution PCM signals. I sent an email to Integra at the beginning of the week asking about this, but have yet to receive a response. Any ideas or suggestions? - Mark

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wouldn't bother with Onkyo. I'd be surprised if they responded and if they did I wouldn't trust their explanation, after all, you will probably get a poorly trained CSR who has little chance of understanding your question (now watch Onkyo come through for you and make me eat my words :blush: ). I'd go straight to the source. Ask Audyssey http://ask.audyssey.com/home

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have an older Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro and I've had better luck calling them. I bought the unit used just over a year ago and they understood the question I was asking about. I'd go to all sources though to get an explanation. I have a preamp with HT Bypass in the main system with the Integra DTC 9.8 so I don't use it for music. I have an Onkyo 1008 in the secondary basement system but when I play hi-rez music it goes through an old Oppo 980H converted to PCM via an HDMI audio de-embedder into an Emotiva DAC and then into the receiver. 24/88.2 PCM from SACD, which you also get through the BDP-93 (I have one in the bedroom system) is all you get from it. So my guess it it is a problem it may be the 24 bit vs. the sampling rate. The Integra DPS 6.9 universal player I have in the secondary basement system too (just using it as CD transport for now) puts out 176.4k. However, I dragged it over to John Gatski's place (editor of everythingaudio.net) who has an ATI ADAC 2 analog to digital converter which shows but depth. The Integra and most other players (including a Sony I have) truncates the word length to 16 bit. I grabbed the Integra DPS 6.9 on close-out as I heard it at the Capital Audiofest and then read the manual later and was hoping to get 24/176.4 but like most players that convert DSD to PCM it truncates the word length..

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I did get a response from Onkyo yesterday, apologizing for the delay, and instructing me to call them at my convenience in order to work on the problem. "My convenience" will probably be this weekend. I will post back if I learn anything new. - Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks