What's new

Info on the theatrical rerelease of The Shawshank Redemption - ? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps this has been discussed somewhere else, but where can I find out more information about the 10th Anniversary theatrical rerelease of The Shawshank Redemption?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If there is a theatrical re-release...Hopefully it will have the original ending, with Red driving off into the sunset, repeating, "I hope." -- not the "test screening" version which shows Andy and Red reuniting down in Xihua, removing all ambiguity from the film. The point of the movie is the power of Hope, the greatest statement is to leave Red "hoping" he will find his friend. Instead, studio muckety-mucks convinced Darabont to go slap on that coda, which answers the question. I'd like to see a director's cut one day that lops this "Shawshank for Dummies" coda off the film completely.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting...I never knew there was an alternate ending. I'd like to see that!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well call me a sentimentalist, but I prefer the theatrical ending over the original ending in King's novella. :D

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
This is from DavisDVD.com:

Additionally, the film will get a two-week theatrical run, beginning September 24th, in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle and Austin.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I think there's room for both versions to exist. The original ending is, as you say, more ambiguous, but the theatrical ending has been in tears when they run towards each other.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Info. posted at DVDFile Monday corroborates the Sept. 24th theatrical re-release date Zachary mentions in his post #5. (Info. on SE DVDs streeting Oct. 5 posted there and at The Bits Monday as well.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks