What's new

In wall wire...how close to electrical wires? (1 Viewer)

RonM

Grip
How close can I run speaker wire next to electrical wire?
Built a new home and ran speaker wire for surrounds. Haven't used them yet but now am ready, however, I've now decided I need to move the initial location so I will be extending the line
redface.gif
. Problem is I will be running close to an electrical line. I've read somewhere not to run parallel close to the electrical wire and cross at a ninety degree angle. Well I don't have an option but to run parallel with the wire. I can run inside the frame of a door providing a gap of some 2-4 inches between the door frame and the stud(need to look at the video of the wiring before sheetrock to make sure)
So bottom line I must run a speaker wire parallel to an electrical wire but if I'm between a stud and maybe a door frame am I far enough away to avoid problems. Only other option is to use original location and change speaker choices.
frown.gif

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I had to run them close when the house was going up - just get them as far away as you can. If you are worried you can always get some of that 3M copper shielding tape at Allied or some other distributor (or I guess some aluminum foil) to shield the speaker wire where it is close.
------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
If you have to cross them at any point, do so as far away as you can and make the crossing perpendicular. That is about all I can think of.
C. Ryan

RonM

Grip
Phil,
I didn't realize I could buy a shielded tape...I'll give that a try.
Thanks
Ron

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Ron - the shielding tape comes in different widths. If you look at Allied Electronics for example (www.alliedelec.com) you can do a search of "shielding tape" as "part description" and use "3M" as the manuf. and you will get a list of choices.
------------------

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The electrical handbook states a minimum of 2 inches and crossings at 90 degrees.
I tried to shield my with metal conduit where ever possible
------------------
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance.
In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had 500 years of democracy and peace.And what did they produce?
The cuckoo clock!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks