What's new

Immortals of Aveum (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The graphics look good but too many particle effects and too much going on in the image makes it just look too busy and undermines the graphics, IMO.

Also, I am glad developers are finding ways to use all this raw power to make gorgeous games, but...can they experiment a bit more with the gameplay? Throwing better graphics on a more or less traditional FPS game doesn't make the game good.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, at.least they show actual.gameplay instead of a lot of cut scenes unlike quite a few other developers recently.

It looks similar to "Forspoken" in terms of magical combat.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Read on The Verge that, based on a Steam survey of presently owned GPUs, less than 9% of gamers PCs will likely qualify to run this game at even low to medium 1080p settings.

The minimum spec is an RTX2080 super or better or an AMD 5700XT paired with a core I7-9700 or Ryzen 7 7300X, 16GB of dual channel RAM and an SSD strongly recommended.

Edit:

Then again, it may be all bullshit, because the game supposedly will run on a PS5. So either the console versions will be massively cut down in order to run or the PC requirements are mostly horse shit. :laugh:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gameplay advances are the realm of Indy developers not AAA.
Not sure I agree, as Indy developers don't have the deep pockets that AAAs have when it comes to development; however I'm not in the industry so maybe it doesn't work that way in software.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Most game play twists are coming from rapid prototyping at game jams and the like. The AAA guys have too much invested to take risks on unproven features.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't entirely agree with that. Sure there are lots of indie games that produce truly novel and bizarre gameplay concepts, but big publishers and developers have experimented. Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush are two recent games that did something really unique and different and both came from major developers (and released exclusively on Xbox and PC as part of deals where MS bought or is trying to buy the developers). Nintendo routinely experiments with their IP.

I think the issue is that game companies would rather invest $200M into something that they know will sell incredibly well at full price instead of experimenting with something for $20M that will break even. It's capitalism, really. And even then, Japanese studios seem much more willing to experiment than US studios, so maybe it's just American capitalism.

The platforms themselves can also inspire creativity. Microsoft hasn't really done much with their controller layout/features since the original Xbox, Sony has added a few features (Sixaxis, lightbar, touchpad), but Nintendo keeps playing with their controllers and that leads to new opportunities for developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks