What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I'm planning to purchase ONE NFL game for my Xbox. But which one?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been a big Madden fan for several years, but it seems that there's a whole bunch of upcoming NFL titles that offer all kinds of bells and whistles.

I just want great gameplay, tons of stats, and the best online options out there. Graphics are of course important, but I suspect that all of the upcoming titles will offer solid visuals.

I glanced through some videogame magazine over at Gamestop, but their article left much to be desired. Lemme know what you guys think.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Since you own Xbox only, I recommened getting ESPN NFL Football without a doubt. It's most likely going to be the only good football game availible on xbox live(unless fever has a miracle). And once you get into the on the field gameplay, you'll be hooked.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Damien's on the money. ESPN NFL Football looks like the winner. That said, I'm waiting for the reviews to come out before I make my purchase. The most frustrating thing about playing on Live are those players who pull the plug when you're winning. The previews indicate Microsoft has figured out an interesting approach to those folks (via the sportsmanship rating). I'm curious to see though if they've fixed the play problems from last year.

-greg

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I'll triple that recommendation.

I'll probably get Madden on PC to tide me over, but once ESPN Football is out, that's probably all I'll play on my X-Box.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Count me in for ESPN also. It looks like Visual Concepts has made some huge strides with the game this year. When it comes to college football, I love EA's NCAA series, but for some reason Madden just doesn't capture the feel of the NFL to me. Sega's 2k series does. Also, Xbox Live football is one of the most addictive video game experiences I have had in my life.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Well, diehard Madden fans have a tough time with NFL2K, because obviously it plays very differently, and if you liked Madden, you'll have to adjust.

No other game is as frustrating and rewarding as NFL2K3, because you feel that you are in control, and therefore responsible for every good and bad thing that happens. No game draws emotion from me as much as this game. But more importantly, no football game has ever been this fun on Defense. When I used to play Madden, defense was never fun or strategic. 2K is just the opposite.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Am I the only person who dislikes all the complicated owner/franchise/coach additions to sports games? These games are getting too complicated to just pick-up-and-play for the casual sports gamer. I barely understand how to differentiate between passing and running plays, much less set the price of hot dogs to increase attendance.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Am I the only person who dislikes all the complicated owner/franchise/coach additions to sports games? These games are getting too complicated to just pick-up-and-play for the casual sports gamer. I barely understand how to differentiate between passing and running plays, much less set the price of hot dogs to increase attendance.
LOL, I agree! :)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
NFL Fever will have the best online options with the XSN Sports setup. Its also rumored to have three free months free Live support, for new users. I've heard that Fever's gameplay isn't that bad, and should be improved a lot. Arguably, its the best looking game. Fever may be the easiest to pick up for casual users to.

I think ESPN NFL from Sega will be a much better game though, and its online options are very good. Its the XBox football game I'll be grabbing this year, and Madden on the PS2 for its online setup.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well said, Keith. :emoji_thumbsup:

As I mentioned in another thread, NFL 2K3 actually inspired me to buy books about football so that I could learn the difference between a "cover 2" and a "cover 4" was, etc. I can't wait to see what the next version brings. And just to clear up potential confusion--Sega's "2K" series has been rebranded as "ESPN Football". Same game, different name.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm going to buy ESPN for actual play, but I'll most likely purchase Fever as well, just to test out the online features and XSN stuff. The Fever series was never bad, just no where near as good as ESPN or Madden.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I'll also be getting ESPN 2k4. I had lots of fun with 2k3 online last year and I'm looking forward to all the improvements they've made with this years version. I might pick up madden for the sole intent of importing my NCAA rosters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks