What's new

I'm going back to an analog set...a couple of questions... (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ok...it seems that HDTV just dont like me...my first one that I had a month ago died and didnt come back on...and now this one is messed up...I've tried everything to fix it...but I cant...and its just too small...so I think I'm gonna go back to an analog set...now I've got a couple of questions...when this HD-DVD comes out and such...will there still be regular old DVD's still coming out...I knew its quite a few years away...but I'm just asking your opinion on the matter...I mean how long will it take for all this HD to really kick in and everyone having an HDTV?

I mean call me old fashioned...or just dumb...but I really dont see that much a difference between HDTV and analog...well I see the difference...but its not that drastic...and I think I'd be better off just gettin an analog set...cause it seems and maybe its just my luck that they havent quite perfected HDTV's yet...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with you hdtv's. I have had one for 3 years now and have enjoyed it to it's fullest. My tv viewing experience has NEVER been better. I know there is no a lot of hdtv on DirectTv yet but the progressive scan images of an anamorphic dvd are worth having hdtv alone. What kind of models did you have a problem with?

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...I had a Panny 36' and the Samsung 30' 16:9...the Panny completely died...and well...theres not a whole lot wrong with the Samsung...its just its a bit small...and I dont really like 16:9 cause I watch a lot of TV on DVD...and a lot of it is 4:3 and I dont like them being stretched or with the bars on the side...If I find a 32' HDTV had a reasonable price...I've seen a 32' Phillips HDTV for $980...and am thinking of going for that...what do ya thinK?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If they're too small, have you considered moving up to an RPTV? Maybe the 43" tabletop Toshiba 4x3 RPTV (43H72) would work well for you if you want to stick w/ 4x3. And if you want to go even bigger, Tosh also offers a 50" model. Don't know how you feel about the apparent PQ difference between direct-view and RPTV though.

But if you want an RPTV, you should do it real soon before all the 4x3 HD RPTVs are gone for good.

_Man_

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I dont like RPTV's...they just dont look as good to me and are way to big...36' is as big as I will ever go...

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
and I dont really like 16:9 cause I watch a lot of TV on DVD...and a lot of it is 4:3 and I dont like them being stretched or with the bars on the side
Ummm...what DVDs are you watching? The vast majority of my DVD collection is in the widescreen format. I could understand your point is you said, "I watch a lot of daytime television and the vast majority of this programming is 4:3" but DVD is largely a widescreen format.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
...cause it seems and maybe its just my luck that they havent quite perfected HDTV's yet...
Nothing is perfect, but my Sony HDTV has been running great for 3 years. HDTV's are no less reliable than analog TV's. I'm sure the vast majority of newer Panasonic TV's are running fine. Why didn't you get it fixed or replaced? You can't rule out an entire brand because of a single bad sample. If you had two bad Panasonic TV's in a row, that would make me look elsewhere.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
If 4x3 tv is a concern of yours, as _Man_ said, they do make 4x3 hdtv's. I have seen some direct view sets for very resonable prices. But the main reason I have a 16x9 hdtv is for watching dvd's. And they look spectacular on a widescreen tv. I don't mind stretching out 4x3 material to fit my screen either, I don't notice a big difference in picture quality.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...the 30' 16:9 is just to small on watching 4:3 material...like the X-Files Season 1-4...Simpsons...Family Guy...and some of my older films which are all 4:3...I am thinking of getting a Phillips 32' 4:3 HDTV and a Sony 32' Analog...

But what I'm wondering is when HD-DVD comes out...which should be in what like 4 years...I mean for people without an extra $3,000 to spend...will there still be regular DVD's coming out?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You'll never have a one-size-fits-all screen on any television, and, given HTF's mission statement, you should consider watching all presentations in the correct aspect ratio with no stretching or zooming.

The 30-inch Samsung widescreen set has the same height as a 27-inch 4:3 set, which should be fine. But you keep saying it's too small. Well, get a bigger set! End of story.

Why didn't you replace the Panasonic? Even if you were past the 30-day return window, it would have been a warranty issue under which Matsushita was obligated.

And you don't see much of a difference between a line-doubled image while playing a 16:9-encoded DVD compared with an interlaced and downconverted image on a conventional NTSC-only set? Really?

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...its not like night and day or anything...I dont see that big of a difference...

a 4:3 image on a 30' 16:9 is like 24'...thats a big small to watch something like Shining or Full Metal Jacket...

And I am gettin a bigger set...a 32' 4:3 either the Phillips HDTV or Sony Analog...

BrianDB

Agent
Joshua,

If you have a Costco near by you might want to look into the 32" Samsung 4:3 HDTV that I believe is around $900. It appears to be within your price range (you mentioned a Philips for $890). If the set ever gives you problems you will be able to return it for a full refund per Costco's return policy.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Sadly I dont have a Costco...I would love that 32' Samsung HDTV...but the only place near me that has it is Sears and they only have the Floor Model for sale... :frowning:

But do you think the Phillips is a good deal? Are they good TV's...I've never had a Phillips...

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Joshua, it will be many years before HDTV really starts becoming mainstream so buying a plain old NTSC set isn't really that bad of an idea. No matter what anyone says there is no chance of NTSC broadcasts ending in 2006 since it would kill the political careers of any politician who would do it unless free ATSC decoders are given out :rolleyes. Many of the people on this forum are on the forefront of home theater technology in equipment and/or knowledge and will recommend HDTV. If your main viewing is going to be 4:3 content there's no great reason why HDTV would be a necessity. When it comes to DVD it will be at least 8 years before Blu-Ray/HD-DVD becomes the dominant format. Pre-recorded Blu-Ray I'm predicting will be released no later than 2004 with a price of no more than $1,500 (DVD players came out with an average price of $600).

For HDTV I will say that it is much better looking than NTSC which does cause me a bit of confusion when you say it doesn't look that different. I believe your referring to DVD which is only 480i while both D-VHS and eventually HD-DVD will do 1080p/i. Though a progressive scan DVD image can look a little better there is a lot of difference between DVD and HDTV.

Joshua, what is the majority of the time you spend in front of your TV watching? And what do you consider most important? Is it television programs, movies, video games? Also how long do you plan to be using this TV for?

With current knowledge I would recommend that if your interested in HDTV than a 4:3 HDTV sounds right. If your only interested in television shows and want to pass off HDTV for a few years a good analog set with component video inputs would work as well. You should know that 4:3 HDTVs will not do as well in vertical resolution than a 16:9 HDTV and instead of 1080i they tend do around 810i.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Richard, that was balanced and well-reasoned. And, Joshua, I hope I didn't scare you. The suggestion regarding a 4:3 ATSC-capable set is a good one.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
The majority of stuff I watch is Widescreen movies...but I have quite a few DVD's that are full screen...mainly TV shows...but still I dont like widescreen sets when I watch 4:3 on them...I dont care for the bars on the sides...I would very much like a 32' HDTV...I mentioned the Phillips 32' HDTV at Sams Club...anyone know anything about this set...but then...it will probably be what 7-8 years til HDDVD really becomes mainstream? So buying an Analog set right now would be ok...and in 7-8 years HDTV will be very cheap and the technology will be much better right?

About me seeing the difference...I see the difference between Analog and HDTV...its just its not has important...only reason I'm considering a HDTV is because of the future and to be ready when HDDVD comes out...I rarely watch TV...and since you say its gonna be quite some time...7-8 years...til HDDVD becomes mainstream and affordable...I can enjoy a really nice Analog set til then...

What do ya think?

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
If You can't see the difference between a flickering picture on a 32" analog TV vs. a solid image on a 32" HDTV in 480p mode, I don't know what to say. Can you image what you computer screen would look like if it were interlaced? YUCK! And the 480p image gets even better when you add in 3:2 pulldown. Watch the white bouncing "ball" at the beginning of most Bond films on a 32" analog TV and it'll look like a sawblade compared to an HDTV w/ 3:2 pulldown.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Whoa? Anger? Where? I simply find it hard to believe how someone (who belongs to hometheaterforum.com so must be somewhat of an audiophile/videophile) can't see the improvement an HDTV makes. Simple as that :)
I do find it irritating when people express their opinions in a public, allbeit moderated, forum, only to recoil at the idea that someone else on that forum may find their opinion unbelievable, irrational, illogical or simply wrong. Jeez :frowning:. I stand by my opinions and give no appologies for doing so. If I'm proven wrong, so be it :)
No one is perfect. And if no one ever made a mistake, what a boring world this would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks