What's new

If flying, they are saying to not lock your checked bags (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Using a combination of colored tape and twist ties branded with an obscure brand name would be even better! This way, there's less of a chance for a thief to have on him matching tape and twist ties. And I doubt the airlines could use the "not responsible for stolen articles" cop-out in the case of malicious intent by their own staff when something dissapears from your luggage.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Baggage handlers who steal carry keys for every type of bag lock...
Thats why I use a combination lock like the one listed at the top of THIS page. You can find them in most shops that sell travel items. I even use them on my dive gear bags which are notorious for being broken into. Tens of thousands of miles later and nothing stolen... yet :angry:

Walt N

Second Unit
Dennis, good call. The combo lock is a good way to go for keeping sticky fingered baggage handlers out of your stuff. And if the TSA decides they need to get into your bag, let them cut 'em off. For the consumer, the cost of a couple of those locks every now would be a small price to pay for the piece of mind, and a heck of a lot cheaper than having items stolen out of your bags.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by this, the fact theat the lock is cut?
They are stating that if your bag has to be opened without you being there they will put a card in the bag on the top. The card says your bag was searched. On the card is an 800 number to call to make a claim for items missing. But they don't say how much they are liable for, they don't say who it is you are calling, they don't say what hours someone will be there and they don't say what they will do about it. The chicago tribune has a new article about it this morning:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...2Dnews%2D hed
This is just another knee jerk 'reaction' to the problem instead of a solution. Its like putting bandaid on top of bandaid instead of totally cleaning the wound and fixing it correctly. The only thing this is going to do if it becomes a hassle and problem is that more and more people are going to be carrying on instead of checking. If I didn't have gifts to carry this year I would be carrying everything on. You are allowed one personal item (briefcase, purse, backpack) and one carry-on. I'm definitely carrying-on on my return flight out of Ohare.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've noticed that more and more people are choosing to carry-on their luggage. I flew a few times this year a few times not all the carry-on bags would fit so they made a few people check their bags right then and there. It may not be a huge problem on some of the larger planes. I unfortunately ended up on small commuter planes (Phoenix to San Diego) that have very small bins. I didn't even have any idea that I was going to be flying on such a small plane until I arrived at the terminal. . the airline apparently pulled a switcheroo. :angry:

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
The thing that upsets me the most about this is that it follows an announcement to check your camera gear because the new x-ray procedures will fog your film.

So now instead of hand carrying the camera we're supposed to check it and then leave the suitcase unlocked. Thieves must love these new rules!

I suppose you could remove the film from the camera and hand carry the camera but that may result in a roll of film with only a few images on it to be developed.

Jay Taylor

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Just Fed-Ex "economy" your bags ahead of time. They won't search them. And you won't have to wait for them at the airport. They will be at your hotel....or family's house, etc.....when you get there.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Just Fed-Ex "economy" your bags ahead of time. They won't search them. And you won't have to wait for them at the airport.
Sorry guys but this will not work either. You will note that FedEx indicates that any packages shipped through them can be opened at anytime and by choosing to ship through them you agree to this policy. All Mail is subject to it since they fly on the same passenger planes. Even Fedex will use standard planes until it gets to a major hub for them.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks