What's new

If flying, they are saying to not lock your checked bags (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Sorry, the locks are staying on my bags. A missing lock is a far more effective signal that your bag has been "searched" (baggage handling slang for "already removed valuables".)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
We were discussing this at work yesterday ... doesn't it violate privacy rights if they search our bags without us present (to ensure they don't rip off our valuables)?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

What privacy rights? Off the top of my head the closest thing to a right to privacy is protection against unreasonable search and seizure and you won't find a judge in America (not even in San Francisco) that says it's unreasonable to search a bag before it goes on a plane.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with them searching my bag, but they should call you out if they do. Since you can't go right to the gate anymore and everyone has to go to the ticket counters, just have the machines there...search everyones checked bags as far as I'm concerned, but do it as we are checking in.

Whats funny is they admit that stealing from bags is a big problem yet they tell people to basically not worry about it.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
On my bags I put both a lock and one of those plastic ties (the ones you can't get off unless you cut it). At least if they search my bag I will be aware and be sure to check for missing items before I leave the airport.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Mike beat me to it ... I may grumble, but I don't have a problem with security asking to search my bags while I watch over them. I do have a problem with them searching my bags behind closed doors where I can't see whether they're stealing my stuff or not.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My mom had $200.00 cash stolen from her handbag while it was going thru San Francisco International's "Security Check" X-ray machine. Her handbag had to go thru the X-ray machine twice before they cleared it. They "cleared" it alright. Be careful anytime your stuff is out of your sight. Maybe locks and plastic ties are needed for handbags and purses nowadays.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thank god they didn't have this before, because the times when I have my backpack going through security, I've done the Pac-Safe with a beefy lock on it, then garbaged bagged and then duct taped, and then an added handle for ease.
Jay

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Just bring an empty suitcase when one of those dye-marker bombs the banks use. Put a little warning sticker on; "warning: opening bag may result in damage to clothing or other personal effects" and have some fun. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just bring an empty suitcase when one of those dye-marker bombs the banks use. Put a little warning sticker on; "warning: opening bag may result in damage to clothing or other personal effects" and have some fun. :)
I know that you are just funnin’ Shayne, but not too many are having much fun with even a small explosive device in an item on a plane (checked or otherwise).

You don’t have to be a lawyer to guess the outcome of a joke like that.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
iirc (from a npr story) the airline must notify you. Or, in some way, flag the suitcase so that you know it was searched.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Explosive? Hell, compressed air.

In any event, I draw your attention to the famous line.."*waves* Hi, Jack! *gets dragged away by security guards*

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
This is exactly why I always travel light and never check my baggage. Plus the added bonus of not having to worry about "lost" luggage. Also there's the benifit of not spending an extra 30 min to an hour waiting for it to come off the plane.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
My mom actually got on the phone and called Delta to ask them about this whole lock/don't lock thing. They said:

...dont pack chocolate, cheese and dont pile books on top of one another, however, if you just pack your clothes, you will be fine--go ahead and lock up. This is a government thing--not an airline thing.

Then they went on to say they are not responsible if something is stolen or broken...since when are airlines not responsible for the luggage that is transported on their airplanes?

Luckily the Austin airport and Chicago Ohare are not in the list of airports that are compling with searching checked bags yet.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah....don't wrap any presents either. you'll be mighty irriated if they make you unwrap it.

if you include batteries, put them inside the device. if something rattles they've stated that they'll have to open it up.

Walt N

Second Unit
Having been an airline employee for many years who's seen a lot of baggage shenanigans, I've come to the conclusion that one is better off using tape, zip ties, or other such tamper evident devices on your luggage than you are to lock them.

Baggage handlers who steal carry keys for every type of bag lock, so locking your bag is no obstacle for them whatsoever. On the other hand, if your bag is wrapped in tape or the latches are zip tied, you'll know right away if it's been opened and will make an immediate report before leaving the airport (unless the TSA leaves their new "calling card"). Unscrupulous baggage handlers know that and will tend to leave them alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks