What's new

I saw the new 2003 Mitsubishi's last night..... (1 Viewer)

DerekM

Agent
I'm sure they're everywhere by now, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks of them? I'm specifically looking at the WS-55311, which is the Gold series 55" HDTV. The picture was really impressive, and it seemed more mellow compared to the Tosh 57hx81 (seemed a little bright to me, but they might have had the brightness up a little). The (progressive scan) picture on Jurassic Park was really impressive, and it's a miracle that I was able to walk out without it......but I had to get some unbiased opinions from someone that won't make any commission :) I was told that Mitsubishi has one of the longest life expectancies on the market. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, the prices on last year's model have gone down due to the new ones already out, so I could essentially get a better model from last year for at or below the same price.......anyone know how well the gold series (2003's) compare to the Platinum series (2002's), or should I even consider anything but the newest (due to features/specs)? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Derek.

Thomas_P

Agent
I can definitely account for Mitsubishi reliability. My last projection from them lasted 13 years. The Gold and Gold Plus series basically have all of the features of last years Platinums, plus an extra component input. I think you will be able to get a 2002 55 platinum for a great price. 2200 at my local store.

Milt

Grip
I have a 45" mitsubishi, had it for 14 years, and with the addition of Dish TV it is still looking quite good. I am now looking for a 55-57 inch widescreen and while Mits. is my first choice, I am concerned about this DVI/Firewire topic. The "promise" is not enough of a guarantee for me, as i don't want to pay $3000 today and maybe have to pay $800-$1000 more when the standard is "official". It appears that Sony and maybe Toshiba are hedgeing their bets by offering both connections in their new models, so I'll wait to see. The only thing is, I don't know if the longevity is as good with these or others, ie.Hitachi also. so I'm interested to hear from others who have had their/these for 10 plus years. Thanks

DerekM

Agent
Please forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar at all with firewire/dvi. From what I understood last night at the dealer, firewire was only available on the Platinum, Platinum Plus, and Diamond series (which is more than I am able to spend) - only the rptv's with an integrated HD receiver (built-in). All that I could understand from his explanation was that all components could be connected together, and controlled via an on-screen menu (onboard computer). Is this the only advantage? I have to be missing something here.......what will be the future drawbacks if I purchase the set without these functions? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the platinum series from last year's model included the firewire. This would most likely be in my price range, but I guess my real question is: How does this year's model (Gold Series) compare to last year's model (Platinum series)? Again, thanks for the help...Derek.

kevitra

Second Unit
Derek

You need to do some reading about 5C copy protection. That is what firewire/DVI are all about.

To sum it up - the studios (MPAA) want HD to have copy protection. They want it over DVI. If you do not have DVI, the signal will be downrezzed to 480P.

Just because a set has DVI dosen't mean it will work in 2 years. It has to have the 'special' decryption keys, etc.

Oh, and they can set a flag that says 'cannot copy', so you can't record a movie and watch it later.

This isn't the most accurate explanation, but it should get you going. Head over to avsforum's hdtv hardware section, or hometheaterspot.com's dvi/firewire section.

There is also a thread on this board about this issue.

FYI: Owner of a Mits 55809. I love it. I personally don't care about the whole copy protection issue. It will be a very long time before it is settled. You can keep waiting or enjoy a new TV now (and for years to come).

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
>>>as i don't want to pay $3000 today and maybe have to pay $800-$1000 more when the standard is "official". It appears that Sony and maybe Toshiba are hedgeing their bets by offering both connections in their new models, so I'll wait to see.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
FYI: Owner of a Mits 55809. I love it. I personally don't care about the whole copy protection issue. It will be a very long time before it is settled. You can keep waiting or enjoy a new TV now (and for years to come).
I feel the same way. I've got a 55857 - and have had it for almost 2 years now. I don't regret it for a second and has been one of the best purchases I've made. Once you get it ISF'd, I think it's picture stands up to the best in the market (Pioneer Elites IMHO) and for a lot less. It's got enough inputs for me and I'm going to get at least 2 more years out of it before I sell it.

I'm pretty realistic about my addiction. I buy gear, keep ti in great shape for 2-3 years, then get the 'itch'. I'll do the same here once the firewire issue gets settled and just buy a new TV, possibly a frnt projection model. such is live with a HT addiction...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've had my 46807 for almost a year and a half now and love it. It has run perfectly with no problems at all. I had her ISF'd by Gregg Loewen last February and the picture is stunning. Cannot recommend Mits enough.
Peace Out~:D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go look at some Mits today. I've been going back and forth between the Toshiba's and the Mits in making my decision. I figure I'll eventually get a projector so I don't want too much $$ tied up in the TV.

I'm just a bit unsure on staying 4:3 or going 16:9. I watch a lot of older foreign and Hollywood classics.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am not gonna worry about the copy protection stuff. I've been enjoying my Mits WS55807 for about a year and a half. I absolutely love it. In the beginning of June I had Craig Miller, (aka The Zen Master of Mitsubishi Calibrations) probably the best Mits calibrators out there, do my set. Truely a remarkable difference. A Mits calibrated correctly will stand up to any RPTV out there including a Pioneer Elite. I am not sure about the new series, but Mits does make a quality TV.

Matt

Eddie_G

Auditioning
Hi all, I just purchased a Mitsu 55" Platinum Plus (55819). It will be delivered tomorrow and is a huge improvement over my 27" :)
If possible, can any of you point me in the right direction in terms of calibrating/adjusting it? Anything that may help a new Mitsu owner would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!
-Eddie

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
For an amazing amount of information, check out HomeTheaterSpot , sign up to become registered, and harvest the vast knowledge and information from the Mitsubishi forum. I will guarantee that you will find more information there than anywhere else on the net. Further on the main forums page are the Mitsubishi Tweaks forum. Even more information regarding how, what, when, and why to tweak.
Have fun reading.
Matt

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I've been reviewing the Mits 55909 at the local B&M, and the HD/DVD picture is outstanding. Cable/NTSC dish appears acceptable, but the 4:3 stretch modes seem lacking.

Everyone raves about the TOS stretch modes, but I haven't been able to analyze them in as much detail. Is the TOS that much better ?

Thanks

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
What kind of “improvements” (if any) have been made on the 2003 models?

I went to my local Conn’s to take a look at the Mits. They had a 55311 on the floor, and it was priced at $2375. Interestingly, that had a 55819 at the same price. A sales person walked up and asked how she could “assist me.” I started the conversation by asking if she could tell me what the primary differences were between 2003 and 2002 models.

She then proceeded to tell me that the 2003 models are not out yet. "It’s not like buying a car," she said. "The 2003s won't be out until 2003." I then proceeded to point out that they had two 55” Mitsubishis sitting side by side with different model numbers and asked, “well, what are the differences?” She looked somewhat perplexed, and after a short pause, pointed to the 55819 and said that it had a better amplifier and better sound.

At that point, I decided she was totally clueless.

In any case, I was wondering if anyone cares to speculate whether we will see prices come down on the 2002 models. Specifically, I have been looking at the 55859.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
the new models have a high speed velocity scan modulation which simply give them a sharper picture. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/hvsm.html
They also have 2 new modes to stretch a 480p or 1080i signal. One that stretches a HD signal when they broadcast black bars on the side, and another that stretches a 2.35:1 DVD signal to fit the screen.
You should be able to get a good deal on the 55859. The place i wrok marked it down to 2999.99. The new platinun series from mitz won't be out until october so you might even see them drop in price again.

vishal

Auditioning
The differences are more than just that. The new models have a different lensing setup, a different lenticuliar screen, and most importantly, have different weights and power usage. The last two are most important, because it implies a difference in the electronics on the inside. YOu can also manually adjust the color decoder for the 480i

Kevin Miller

Auditioning
Hi All,

Just tweaked a new Mitzi 65909 2 days ago. the color decoder fix is now in the Service menu, and that to my mind is the single biggest improvement in the line. Vishal is right the lenses are said to be improved, and I believe it as I had visible scan line on 1080i HDTV after focusing was done. The new chassis are really impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks