What's new

I Need Help Pronouncing A German Word (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Can someone help me with the pronunciation of a German word? Butzbach (German pronunciation: [bʊtsbax]). I don't know how the "x" [bʊtsbax]) would be pronounced. I am assuming the correct pronunciation is Boots Backs? Or is it Boots Back? Or Boots Bach? I have to pronounce the word in a public situation and don't want to sound like a moron. Thanks.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Can someone help me with the pronunciation of a German word? Butzbach (German pronunciation: [bʊtsbax]). I don't know how the "x" [bʊtsbax]) would be pronounced. I am assuming the correct pronunciation is Boots Backs? Or is it Boots Back? Or Boots Bach? I have to pronounce the word in a public situation and don't want to sound like a moron. Thanks.

The first syllable is pronounced as in "books," not as is in "boots," and the "tz" is pronounced as "ts".
The "a" in the second syllable is pronounced as a "u" as in "but" or "supper" and the final "ch" is pronounced as "h" in your throat in a way that is not required in English. Imagine you're going to say a word like "hard" or "happy" but you only pronounce the "h" and then from the back of your mouth: that's how that final "ch" should sound.

Good luck.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks. I feel better. If I can't get it perfect, I at least want those who know the proper way it should be pronounced to realize I made an effort.

If those goes well it could mean a big gig, so thanks again.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Note that there are regional variations in pronunciation. For example, I think in Austria the "ch" is closer to the English "sh" than to the guttural 'h,' and in Switzerland it's even harder, like a 'k.'

I think. It's been a while. . .

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I would say that the second syllable should be pretty close to the way you've mostly heard the composer Bach's name. So rather than a short "u" sound, I'd suggest a full-on "ah" sound.

The "ch" at the end is generally pronounced back in the throat, like the sound you might make in trying to clear your throat. As stated, it has no comparison in English. Think of words you may have heard in your life with that construction: The Third Reich, the yiddish chutzpah. It's like a softer version of our "k" sound - more breathy.

That first syllable was described correctly as I see it. The "boo" sound is as in book and "tz" is just like "ts"

Six years of German in school had to be worth something!

Harry

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Unless you're taking a German pronunciation class, "Boots Bach" will serve you well. As stated above, the "ch" has a sound akin to horking up phlegm in the back of your throat, but you should ignore that unless you *really* have to get it exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks