What's new

I just bought the Gold Edition Box of Citizen Kane... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
what a damn ripoff for $80!!

Cheap ugly packaging with a flimsy soft plastic disc tray and 2 discs secured on the same hub, one on top of another! Not even overlapping like the Pink Panther Collection, but literally two discs slid over one another, the bottom of one disc resting flat atop another beneath it.

I can't believe what a swindle this is...

How can anyone justify the ridiculous price tag and complete lack of care and effort thrown together for this cheap flimsy set? Why does it even exist I have to ask?

To top it off, the glue on the "box" (if you want to call a cheap plastic digi-like hybrid that) is coming loose after removing the shrinkwrap 5 minutes. I can see that this will not last more than a few months before I just go out and rebuy the regular Warner digipack edition.

Anyways, I just wanted to vent my disgust over this expensive piece of junk. If you'd ever contemplated a purchase... don't!

I'm tempted to send it back for a refund.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I thouhgt it would be some super deluxe gift set. For that price, I certainly expected it!

I also figured it would have been nice to have everything packaged together. Little did I know that meant stuffing two discs on top of each other on a flimsy package hub. It's the kind of plastic that you get when you buy headphones or a small electronics accessory and have that clear plastic inside the cardboard box that you have to rip open to take out the content. Just black, and inside a cheap looking plastic digi book style case... that's the deluxe $80 gift set.

Oh and you also get a *free classic poster reproduction -- that you have to send out a payment for. :rolleyes:

This set is horrible. Why does WB even bother to license their classics out for this poorly lacking falsely marketed giftset treatment.

Biggest DVD ripoff Ive come accross yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've nevre heard of this, do you have a link to where you got it, or a picture of it? What was it supposed to have in it other than the DVD's?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It came with a film cel frame, and an insert promoted as a special collectors booklet...

Here's a link through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

The "set" looks much different in reali life. In fact... it's not a box set at all. It's just a crappy plastic style digi-type case. Very cheap. This Creative Design Arts company has no business ethics. This thing is not worth more than $25 MAX!

Vert dissapointing.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I was well aware that everything was available seperately. I just feel that this set was grossly misrepresented and if you saw it, I'm sure you would too. The "luxury packaging" is quite literally a joke.

I searched thoroughly and extensively for photographs or reviews before purchasing but none came up for the Gold Edition set. What more could I have done apart from bite the bullet and risk purchase for a cinema classic. Oh well, its my loss...

I just wanted to warn anyone else who mightve contemplated picking up this craptacular edition. And to think I could have bought the new Thin Man Collection and another one or two movies for the price I paid...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Instead of biting the bullet, you could have bought both dvds separately with basically the same features as the gift set and saved almost $50.00

Crawdaddy

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Marco,

Out of curiousity, did you happen to notice this review on Amazon?

Did you really?

Again, all of this information (which pretty much sounds like everything you stated previously in this thread) came from the link you provided.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I did happen to notice that review... after the fact unfortunately!

I didn't order the set from Amazon and since Amazon generally doesn't seperate reviews for multiple editions of releases except where significantly represented, I just assumed the reviews would be related to the regular R1 Kane set and didn't really bother to read through them. I also don't often hold Amazon customer reviews to much regard as they are rarely in account of the actual DVD but the film in question.

Ah well, I should've been more careful I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks