I just bought an Acurus A125X5 - good amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I got a demo model from a local shop for $650. Is this a good amp and a good price? I will use it to power a Yamaha HTR-5250 until I get a new Harman Kardon AVR 320/520. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I have the Acurus 200x3 and love it.. I think you will be very happy with the amp.. Sounds like a good deal as well. Enjoy it.

3. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Kevin:
    That is a terrible amp. I doubt you will like it at all. When you get the new one, I'll take it off your hands for $400.
    [​IMG]

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Seriously, I think Acurus makes a terrific amp. I also have the A200x3 and love it. That is a very good deal.
    And I'll still take it off your hands for $400.
    [​IMG]

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure that your HTR-5250 has preamp outputs? I thought that only the 5280/RXV-800 and up had the preamp outputs. Thanks for the info. Jason

6. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I have the A125x5. Got it during the blow out auctions of Acurus amps on Ubid last year. Very good amp. I have it paired with my new Outlaw 950 and it sounds wonderful. At first I thought it was a little on the bright side driving my Paradigm Studio 40s but now I think it is fairly neutral if just a touch dry. Compare with receivers, you should notice right away that the bass is much tighter then using the receiver's amp. Overall, it is just more revealing then any receivers I listen to in the past.

A125x5 mates well with H/K AVR-320, I had that setup at home for a couple of weeks when I first got the amp. However, I strongly recommend that you consider getting a pre/pro instead of a receiver because your amp needs a good source to reach its max potential.

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses, and yes, the Yamaha 5250 has preamp outputs.

8. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I have a A200x5 paired with with my 49TX. It sounds really very nice. I am planning to do some blinded tests in the near future against the Pioneer. But over all a very nice amp, runs really cool also, even when pushed.