I got a pioneer vsx-d811s, but I have 4 optical devices? Am I hosed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Nov 7, 2002.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I just got this reciever for dts 6.1, but I have:
    directv (hd) reciever with optical out
    dvd panny rp-56, optical
    x-box optical
    ps2 optical
    This reciever has 2 optical+2 coaxial outs, 1 optical in, and an optical out in the front, (why I don't know, they should've put it in the back).
    What should I do????

John

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Few receivers offer 4 optical ins, and if they do, you have to pay a large amount of money (i.e. over $1000). One exception to this rule is the Panny SA-HE200, which shouldnt be too much more than the 811. I'm sure there's a few more I'm missing.
    I'm sure there is some sort of digital in switch, but hopefully someone else knows about it because I don't.
    So what should you do? Get a new receiver or bite the bullet and be forced to manually switch connections (gasp![​IMG] )

3. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

Audio Authority makes an autosensing digital switch for up to 4 devices, using either optical or coax connections. Digital Connection sells it for $120, but I think I may have seen one floating around used recently on AVS.

-Mike

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Try www.partsexpress.com I'm pretty sure I saw that they had a low-price optical switcher but I don't know how good it is. Radio Shack also has a 4 input 1 output optical switcher for $29.99 catalog number 15-1586 but again I don't know how good it is & the Parts Express one is probably cheaper anyway & might even be the same switcher that the Shack has?

5. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Better yet, just covert your optical signal to a coaxial signal from partsexpress. Here is a link to the optical to coaxial converter (they also sell a coax to optical converter).
    You are no longer hosed! [​IMG]

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The ratshack also sells a product (item #15-1987 if I remember correctly) at the following link:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1987
    That may not only solve your problem but hopefully other people's as well if you lack enough inputs (I use the lower model 15-1242 to convert my VCR analog outs to PCM digital so that my Technics SH-AC500D can process the signal to DPL in my main theater room so the product should be decent quality).

7. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

Hey that parts express has some pretty nifty shiznat. I think I'll just get two optical/coaxial converters. Why would they need a power supply though?

Man, now I just saw the manual 4 in 1 optical switcher, damn, what to pick now??

John

8. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

John-
    If I were you, I would get two optical to coax switchers. This way, the receiver will do all switching for you automatically and you do not have to manually switch to a different component as you would with the optical switchers. BTW, the reason they need a power supply is, simply, that it requires power in the circuit board to be able to convert from an optical to a coaxial signal.

9. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Why not use this switcher from Recoton and plug in 3 of the 4 opticals you have to it, and then plug say your Directv straight to the receiver since it will be used on a regular basis?
    These are inexpensive and can be found at Best Buy etc.
    Just a thought
    Alfer

10. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Doesn't the Yamaha 5590 have more than 4 optical inputs? Its only about 800