What's new

I come to you hat in hand, Receiver advice (1 Viewer)

John_Matthew

Auditioning
My father may be making a mistake in that he wants to purchase the Denon 3805. He says he's doing this because it's the only device he can find that has three progressive RGB inputs, all the other receivers he's looked at have only two. He has a HDTV, a DVD, Satellite tuner, and replayTV, and CD player.

He believes he must have three progressive inputs to "hook everything up" for quality HDTV viewing?

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous but to me, spending 1200 bucks on a receiver to get 3 hookups in the back seems to be overkill. His HDTV is middle of the road, has an older, low end DVD player, his speakers are low quality (compartively) and his woofer must be 12 years old.

I do not think he will be getting his money out of a Denon, unless he invested another 3k or so to upgrade everything which doesnt seem likely.

So if anyone can suggest a lower priced mid range receiver that DOES have 3 RGB progressive inputs that is more around 500 bucks it would be appreciated. Although I fear it may be too late his eyes are filled with the Denon after listening to it at the dealers, of course in a sound chamber with probably 15-20k in equipment installed to "show it off".

Thanks!

John

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd just let him get it. He'll have one purr-dy good component to build around. How long till he wants a forth RGB input?:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Unless his speakers are out and out junk, the auto eq on the Denon will make them sound much better than they do now. If his tv only has one set of component inputs then he really does need 3 inputs on the receiver. Even if it has 2 sets of component ins it's still a lot easier to do all switching with the receiver.

I'd strongly suggest you have him consider Denon's AVR-2805, virtually the same receiver less 20wpc, with the same features and inputs/outputs except the D-link which he'd never use unless he's gonna buy a high-end Denon SACD player. It retails for $899 including the auto-calibration microphone.

The 3805 is $1195 and does not include the mic. which is an extra $65.

If he still insists on the 3805, more power to him. It is HIS money, isn't it? I doubt if a lousy $765 more than a $500 receiver is going to cut significantly into your inheritance.

John_Matthew

Auditioning

LOL! Thanks for the tips, I just didn't want him to put a Rolls Royce hood on a AMC Gremlin is all.

If the 2805 has the 3 RGB outputs then it sounds like a much more economical system, he can buy something else for his system with the money he saves.

Any other suggestions I'm listening.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Has a HD Component Switcher like the Zektor or Audio Authority been considered or are you strictly looking for a receiver that has this capability?

Maybe a lower-end receiver and a switch-box may be a viable option to consider.

John_Matthew

Auditioning

No, I wasn't aware of their existence till recently, but I think he wants a new receiver anyways. The one he's using is pretty antiquated. He's leveraged it as far as he can with what he's had to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks