What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I Catalogued My Entire Physical Media TV And Movie Collection (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ive Spent the Weekend Putting together Lists of all My Video Physical Media. I Had 80 Completed or Partial TV Series' or Tv mini Series. 224 Movies, 157 Historical Docs 19 NFL Team Docs and games on DVD and 40 Pro Wrestling Historical Docs. All were on DVD or Blu Ray. Who Else has Done this?

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I use EMDB (freeware movie cataloging database program) for movies and a basic spreadsheet for TV series. Since starting the spreadsheet, EMDB has expanded to better handle TV series but I haven't converted those to it yet. I have so much product I also have an index that tells me where to find a particular title (some on shelves, lots in boxes/totes).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Some of us use DVD Profiler:

It's mostly pretty convenient, including the mobile apps' ability to just scan UPC bar code. I do very sporadically run into rare cases where a specific title's not (yet?) in their DB (and I don't feel like creating my own entry for it)... and it doesn't really accommodate digital purchases (so far) other than letting you customize a little for makeshift-DIY cataloging of those.

Currently, I have over 2800 titles catalogued (though I'm actually a fair bit behind mainly for digital purchases since beginning of this year) -- I only catalog digitals where I either don't already own the disc version or the disc is lower quality...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Some of us use DVD Profiler:

It's mostly pretty convenient, including the mobile apps' ability to just scan UPC bar code. I do very sporadically run into rare cases where a specific title's not (yet?) in their DB (and I don't feel like creating my own entry for it)... and it doesn't really accommodate digital purchases (so far) other than letting you customize a little for makeshift-DIY cataloging of those.

Currently, I have over 2800 titles catalogued (though I'm actually a fair bit behind mainly for digital purchases since beginning of this year) -- I only catalog digitals where I either don't already own the disc version or the disc is lower quality...

_Man_

Oh, I also assign entries in my DB w/ catalog #s (partly) based on format (using a good prefix system) so it's easy enough to sort them according to format (plus title name) if/whenever I need.

_Man_

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I had been using filmaf.com for over 20 years to catalog my collection. When the website went kaput last summer, I was distraught. I saw the people using DVD Profiler and decided to try that. The UPC scanner was a lifesaver, but it still took 6 weeks to enter everything (6500 items). I also took the opportunity to alphabetize everything, which has made it much easier to find things.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I definitely think it's a good idea to have some kind of catalog system in place when one owns a lot of physical media. My collection isn't as huge as many board members, but it's not exactly small either (certainly my wife doesn't think so! ;) ) - probably around 1,200-1,300 titles on DVD (including TV-on-DVD sets) and over 600 Blu-Rays. I keep a Word document file of my TV-on-DVD and Blu-Ray sets, which I update every month or two, and have a separate list for my films on DVD. For films on Blu, I use the database software on the other site (which apparently shall not be named, but starts with blu-ray and ends in .com). While I'm mixed on the other site's forum, much preferring the one here, their database system is pretty dang good for cataloguing, tracking and rendering statistics about one's collection. It's easy to use and has cover images for most regions' releases.

I haven't tried EMDB before, but will check it out, thanks for the tip.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have practically stopped buying physical discs and mostly only buy the digital codes for movies I want to own.

Have used Profiler for as long as I can remember but I don’t even bother anymore.
I still put the occasional disc purchase in there but not the digital movies anymore.

I did do what the op is doing as a I made spreadsheet for the thousand of comics I owned until I sold most all of them.

The spreadsheet was extremely helpful when I listed them for sale.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I use the "My Movies" app. The app links all your devices...Android, Apple and Microsoft. Everything scans off the barcode and gives a lot of info on each film including director and cast. You can have multiple collections as I have three sets of discs (2 are made up of titles I upgraded in my main collection and are in a guest room and vacation cabin. It even catalogs Laser Discs, and if you don't like the official name you can rename the film to put it alphabetically where it is easier to remember. You do this by creating a hidden "sort title" while the actual title remains in the display. You can also search for titles released in many countries around the world if the title is not released in your native country. Sample below is the start of the "V's" on this Android phone
Screenshot_20210906-214733~2.png

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DVD Profiler for about 20 years. I usually keep it pretty UTD. One of the best $25 purchases I made for a lifetime license back in 2004. I'm not 100% sure how low I used the Free Version before then but I think it was at least a couple years,.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have maintained a spreadsheet over the years but my PC isn't currently working due to a wire connecting to the on/off button which needs to be soldered. Quite a bit of updating to do once I get it back up and running.

I have columns for airdate, run time, color or B&W, episode title, where it can be found, and notes either pertaining to the film/show and/or technical quality, edits, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In case it's not known, there's more on this subject on the thread:

Filing Films in Your Collection (when titles start with numbers)​

Given our (poor) search function here, would be helpful if you include a link to that thread, haha...

Here yah goes -- a rare case of getting exactly what's searched: ;):cool:

_Man_

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Thanks ManW for giving the link. I couldn't work out how to do it.
Incidentally, I file my 1000+ DVD and Blu-ray titles as a Word document, both electronic and hard copy. I use the Word search function to quickly locate a title, etc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another DVD Profiler user here -- both the Windows and Android mobile versions. I keep both my discs and digital purchases in the database, and also keep track of when each title was last watched.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I started using DVD Profiler, but eventually stopped taking the time to update it. At one point I had a spreadsheet, but it also got quickly out of date. I probably have around 200 TV series and 3000 movies. All though I am starting to wean through it and either donate, sell, or just box titles I question whether I will watch again.

Where I have had success over the last few years is in my sports collecting. I have 1200+ basketball games and 500+ football games. Without having created a spreadsheet for each sport I would be completely lost on what I have. Now that I've succeeded in that area, i feel confident I can get back and re-catalog my TV and movie collections.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another DVD Profiler user here -- both the Windows and Android mobile versions. I keep both my discs and digital purchases in the database, and also keep track of when each title was last watched.
Same here except track when each title was last watched. I wish I've done that from the beginning as well as track my purchase price.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Same here except track when each title was last watched. I wish I've done that from the beginning as well as track my purchase price.
Keeping track of when a title was last watched is a big help for my wife and I in deciding what we will watch. I can easily search for purchases that we have never watched, or if we are trying to decide which older film to watch we can select the one that we have not seen as recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks