What's new

I bought both formats, HD DVD and Blu-ray that is...... (1 Viewer)

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Well done for including HDCD in that list, Ed!

I was starting to think that I was one of the only ones who appreciates how nice 20 bit audio sounds. I like HDCD discs a lot and have built a nice little library of them.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The RCA HD DVD player WILL NOT/DOES NOT play DVD-AUDIO discs.

I wish it did though :frowning:

I only own a couple of them...but since selling off my DVD Audio player (Panasonic RP-91) I haven't been able to listen to them.

Edit/Update: Just back from a night out...and a stop by Best Buy. Picked up the Samsung BluRay player. I'm crazy!~!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm in the BOTH camp as well, but I refuse to buy the Samsung.

I have the Toshiba HD-A1 and am really not happy with many facets of it. As soon as there is a player that has faster startup, better remote, supports the new HD audio formats and SACD/DVD-A, or some combination of the above it will be ebayed.

I'm passing on the Samsung but will be on the first wave for the Sony BDP-S1 and PS3.

If I werent the Universal reviewer for HTF tho, I would never have bought the HD-DVD deck tho!

Sam

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I've got the samsung sitting here unopened and am returning it tomorrow. Wow, what a turnaround this has been! Hd Dvd for me now and I won't be getting blu ray anytime soon. Also, it was slipped at AVS that Lion's Gate already has hd dvd transfers done and will be releasing them soon in hd dvd. Blu Ray has really damaged itself in the last few days. I'm just stunned...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
I'm keeping my player, I just think it's too early to count Blu-Ray out. Have you seen any of the movies for yourself yet? I know the early reviews aren't very promising, but I want to judge for myself. Hopefully, I'll have a few movies tomorrow, though I have company at my house all week so I'll only be able to test these discs sporadically.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Larry, yeah saw TFE and HOFD today and it's embarassing to say the least. Granted, I saw them in a store where they're not the best at calibrating displays most likely but it's not looking good. The reviews echo what I saw and it's just shocking to me what has happened. I'll be looking here and at avs tomorrow for the flood of disc reviews that comes in.

I initially thought that ok, some of the titles were somewhat older and maybe that was the reason. But when I heard Underworld Evolution looked soft? That's inexcusable for a brand new movie. I'll check out your posts on the player this week. I just don't know what Sony/Bd are thinking? Is it just total arrogance and planning on double and triple dips in the future? Kinda seems like it so far...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I agree but if the titles really aren't looking upto par at the moment then it's probably smart to return the player, wait for improvements, and then hopefully repurchase at a lower price. If I had preordered I think that would be my mentality (after judging the picture quality for myself of course).

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I also posted this in the Blu-Ray section:

Ok, I had my first round with a real BD movie on the Samsung. I watched about the first 25 minutes of XXX. First, I'll say the picture was pleasing, definitely better than SD DVD and most of the High Def movies I've seen on cable. The color was nice and there was some depth in the image. However, there are some caveats. The picture had a very "digital" look to it. It didn't have the filmlook of the best HD DVD's, and there was some artifacting on the trees on the road when Vin Deisel was stealing the Senator's car. The party sequence had only ok shadow detail, and the reds were a bit smearier than what I expected on this scene. The diner sequence looked pretty good.
There's no getting around the fact that, at this time, BD is not as good as HD DVD. HD DVD at its best has a gorgeous, tranquil filmlike picture that puts everything else I've ever seen on my television to shame. The BD still has a pretty good picture, but at the moment BD is definitely behind HD DVD in the picture quality department. Soundwise, both are great and I couldn't tell the difference.
Will I be keeping the Samsung? More than likely yes, as I think these problems are mostly software dependent and good releases from Warners and Fox could change everything. Plus, the Samsung is a good player with better ergonomics than the Toshiba(except for that damn hourglass!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks